Your Personal Guide to Celebrate Earth Day 2022

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at New School chapter.

Ahh, Earth Day has arrived which means the frigid winter months are gone and spring flowers are in full bloom. April 22, 2022, marks the 52nd anniversary of the modern environmental movement that began in 1970. The first Earth Day celebration had millions of Americans, including students from thousands of colleges and universities, rallying to increase public awareness of ecological problems. Today, people from around the world who have similar concerns unite and express gratitude for our planet’s sustainable and habitable future. If you need a little inspiration to honor Mother Nature’s sacred creations, here is a quick guide to kickstart your Earth Day 2022: 

Show love and care to your plants

Fuel your green thumb by watering your potted houseplants with a fresh glass of lukewarm water – trust me, they’ll thank you for this.  For a rich source of calcium and minerals, make a D.I.Y natural fertilizer by crushing up your morning eggshells and mixing them into the soil. For potassium and magnesium, place banana peels directly on the potting soil. By the next day, your houseplants will prosper in their bright green hues and thrive in length.  

purchase a houseplant

If you don’t have a houseplant, or if you want to add another one to your prized plant collection, this is the perfect opportunity to visit your local plant nursery. Purchasing from a local nursery supports small businesses and also saves you the time and frustration of finding the perfect plant. Plant nurseries nurture different varieties of plants that are grown locally and enriched with mineral soil. 

keep your area clean

A clean room means clear thoughts. Enter the Earth Day mindset with a spacious and organized space. Declutter everything in your room, including your bedside table and desk. Remember to recycle your plastic water bottles lying around in your room – trust me, they’re a distraction. Cleaning will enlighten positive well-being and boost productivity for your Earth Day plans. 

invest in a reusable water bottle

Replace the plastic water bottles piled in your recycling bin by investing in a stainless, insulated water bottle. This is a prominent money-saver because the average American buys an average of 29 million bottles per year, costing each American about $266 a year. Plastic water bottles are not biodegradable, it takes at least 1,000 years for a plastic bottle to decompose in landfills. Do yourself and Mother Nature a favor and purchase the refillable water bottle you’ve been eyeing for a long time at the grocery store. 

find transportation alternatives for your commute

Opt-out of driving your car by walking or riding your bike to your next destination. Along with finding ways to save gas by carpooling with friends or using public transportation. According to the EPA, a typical passenger vehicle releases 4.6 tons of carbon dioxide into the atmosphere per year. Traveling with public transportation produces 95% less carbon dioxide and 45% less nitrogen oxide. 

plan your day outside

Take advantage of the outdoors by breathing in the fresh air you deserve. Spend your afternoon at a local park and plug in your headphones for a thoughtful walk. Don’t forget to show kindness to your surroundings by admiring your local botanic garden. If you’re planning on strolling through New York and you’re tired of walking, bring your old pair of rollerblades and glide through Central Park. When you can, make a pit stop at the High Line and discover the alluring greenery and outdoor art installations on the elevated park. 

do your part – clean up litter

If you encounter a piece of trash during your walk, don’t ignore it and walk past it. Take a few steps back to pick it up and discard it in its proper bin, then you can move along with your journey. If there’s a neighborhood cleanup event today, this is your chance to participate and create meaningful change within your community. It takes a tiny bit of effort to maintain a safe environment that protects wildlife from negative health risks.

shop SMART for clothes

Make an environmentally conscious decision for your wardrobes and seek out eco-friendly fashion brands. Research small businesses that are cautious about their resources and energy use when creating their merchandise. An ethical business prioritizes its worker’s safety and pays them a livable wage for their hard, committed work. Do your part as an ethical consumer and choose from companies based in your city that eliminate fashion’s harmful environmental effects. 

I recommend Miakoda, a New York City-based clothing brand that fights the fast fashion industry by creating ethically made garments. Their plant-based fashion collection is styled for all women and fits a variety of sizes. Luckily their prices are affordable, which is a rare find compared to other sustainable clothing brands that vouch for accessibility, yet attach shocking price tags to them. 

Bring your Earth Day festivities to a close and reflect on the lifestyle changes you’ve made today. Then apply these valuable changes to your daily routines. Mother Nature is asking for your utmost love and attention.

Karen Arrobo

New School '24

Hi! My name is Karen Arrobo, I'm a sophomore at The New School pursuing Journalism & Design and Culture and Media. I enjoy listening to music and making playlists, film photography, and watching movies from any genre. I focus on a myriad of topics including music, art, culture, beauty, etc. I'm open to talking about more topics!