The Her Campus National Editors write about products we love and think you’ll love too. Her Campus has affiliate partnerships, so we get a share of the revenue from your purchase. All products are in stock and all prices are accurate as of publication.

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at New School chapter.

Let’s face it, everyone says that New York is the city that never sleeps because of the endless amount of things that you can do. But what happens when your budget is limited and you feel like you’re being charged to breathe New York’s air? What happens when you don’t know what to do and stay all day in your room looking at the ceiling? Does the city go to sleep then? Of course not! It is waiting for you to read this article and discover the best things to do in this city free of charge.

vISIT STREET ART GALLERIES

Street art is available in many spots in the city, providing inspiration for its visitors, and it’s also a great thing to experience with a friend! These street-side galleries are also great places to take the coolest photos.

Some of the spots include:

Wellington Art Mural Project (11-98 Welling Ct. in Astoria)

First Street Green Art Park (33 E 1st St.)

Freemans Alley (Between Bowery and Chrystie St. on the Lower East Side)

Watch the sunset at pier 35’s giant swings

Try this fun opportunity to ride an enormous swing while enjoying the view of the East River. The swings are raised on a platform and hang from a canopy; there are four of them available waiting for you and your friends! You can find it at Pier 35, South Street x Jefferson St.

Visit the greenacre park

If you want to relax and ignore the roaring traffic, come enjoy nature at this little park and listen no more than the sound of the waterfall. There are tables to work and hang out — a great spot for spending time in the approaching warm days! It is open from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. at 217 E 51st St.

Take the staten island ferry

The Staten Island Ferry is a passenger ferry route that runs 5.2 miles through New York Harbor between Manhattan and Staten Island. The ferries take 25 minutes to complete the route and operate 24 hours a day, seven days a week. They leave every 15 to 20 minutes during busy hours and every 30 minutes other times. Take advantage of this FREE opportunity to visit the Statue of Liberty — she’s been standing a lot just to see you! Also get ready to feel the air in your face and have your Rose moment, with or without Jack (better with though)!

titanic im flying scene
Paramount Pictures

Take the flatiron district tour

Learn about the famous Flatiron Building in a FREE 90-minute walking tour sponsored by the Flatiron/23rd Street Partnership. These tours are free on Sundays at 11 a.m., and you can find the tour group directly at the southwest corner of Madison Square Park. Be ready to learn more about the amazing neighborhood and about this weird-shaped building that has appeared in many movies, such as Godzilla and Spiderman.

Visit the bronx zoo

If you want to connect with nature and escape from being surrounded by humans all day, the zoo is the perfect activity for you. It is FREE on Wednesdays so make sure to have that day off for yourself! It is located at 2300 Southern Boulevard in the Bronx.

Explore little italy and chinatown

Little Italy and Chinatown are fun places to take some “holidays” to feel like you’ve travelled to a different country. These spots have many shops and affordable restaurants that are worth trying. There is also very nice street art in Little Italy, and you can visit St. Patrick’s Old Cathedral. Walking tours are offered, and they go all the way through Soho, Chinatown and Little Italy.

Don’t miss the San Gennaro Festival this September to enjoy some music, food and dance!

Go for a walk on the stone street

Enjoy the European-like buildings in this old-fashioned street that breaks away from traditional NYC architecture. Take this magical trip and feel like the main character in your own romantic journey through the cobblestone street. There are even spaces to sit down and make your own picnic! Cars are not allowed here during summer so enjoy this ephemeral but endless moment of peace. It starts from Whitehall St. to Board St. between Marketfield St. and Bridge St.

HI! My name is Marcia and I from Buenos Aires, Argentina. I am currently a freshman at Parsons School Of Design and I enjoy making purses, film making, sewing and drawing. But, apart from designing, I have a huge passion for writing. I think poetry is the most beautiful and transparent form of expression, a world where there are no barriers to voice our thoughts. Feel free to follow me on Insta: @margalann