Life > Experiences

Tips on How to Make your Septum-Piercing Experience as Easy as Possible!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at New School chapter.

I got my septum pierced three weeks ago. Not only did it allow me to scratch a line off my bucket list, it also provided me with newfound confidence in my appearance! The experience itself was empowering and invigorating! So, I thought it would be helpful to share some tips I learned on how to ease into the process!

1. Research, research, research!

The outcome of your piercing depends on the environment you are pierced in. Lookup a variety of places before you go. Be sure to check any reviews. If it is possible, read up on the piercers available and choose the one you would pair best with! Red flags at tattoo/piercing salons include the administration of junky jewelry, improper use of jewelry for certain piercings, and the absence of a sterilization station.

2. Communicate!

Be sure to tell your piercer if you have any pre-existing conditions or allergies to metal or nickel. Feel free to share your pain tolerance. Express any concerns you have! Remember, they want you to have the best experience possible and enjoy your piercing!

3. Follow the piercer’s instructions on aftercare!

Your piercer knows best. Often, they will suggest that you use saline spray and antibacterial soap to clean the piercing. It is also suggested that the piercing not be moved or twisted. Do not use hydrogen peroxide, rubbing alcohol, or apple cider vinegar to clean your piercing.

4. Be patient!

A septum piercing can take as long as six to eight months to heal, so be patient! If you are interested in changing the ring, visit a piercer! Jewelry can be changed once a minimum of two to three months have passed and the area is no longer tender.

• Contact your piercer if you notice any complications.

Reach out to your piercer or a healthcare professional if you exhibit any of these symptoms after you receive your piercing:

• thick tissue around the piercing
  • severe or worsening pain
  • itching
  • redness or swelling
  • irregular coloured discharge or pus
  • fever or chills!

To anyone interested in getting their septum pierced, I encourage you to take the leap! With the help of an experienced piercer and proper aftercare, your septum piercing can become a staple part of your look!

Tara is a New York-based Journalist studying at The Eugene Lang College of The New School. She has a passion for unique storytelling and mental health advocacy. Aside from writing, she enjoys singing and spending time with animals. See more of Tara's work on taralamorgese.wixsite.com/website!