The CW
Mental Health

Self Love Singles: Eight Songs for the Single Girls this Valentine’s Day

Emotions are surfacing for most people around this time in early February. The 14th sneaks up on us whether or not we’ve expected it coming, and for those who are single or freshly out of a relationship, the idea of dedicating an entire day to romantic love could be either sickening or the biggest eye-roll moment of your life. Now I won’t sit here and list off all the reasons you should love yourself and get off the couch to dance in your best dress all by yourself, but it’s no secret some of us are more than happy to be free from the dating scene, and that’s entirely okay. 

Whether you’re spending these early February days floating above an abyss of people scrambling to buy heart-shaped chocolate cases or doing everything in your power to spend the day not alone (even if that means the most horrifying tinder date of your life), I came up with one of the best ways to feel yourself while you do it: music. 

Here are my favorite self-love song picks for a full February 14th, no matter how you choose to spend the capitalist eye roll holiday.

1. “Energy” by Tyla Jane

Favorite Lyric: “Drinking coffee, take a sip, they say I’m sparkling.”

2. “20 Something” by Sza

Favorite Lyric: “Hoping my twenty-somethings don’t kill me.”

3. “New Romantics” by Taylor Swift

Favorite Lyric: “The best people in life are free.”

4. “I Forgot That You Existed” by Taylor Swift

Favorite Lyric: “It isn’t love, it isn’t hate, it’s just indifference.”

5. “I Don’t Care” by Ariana Grande

Favorite Lyric: “Now I laugh about the things that used to be important to me.”

6. “Self Love” by Emily Vu

Favorite Lyric: “My hair, my smile, my body and my style.”

7. “Newbury Park” by Lexi Jade

Favorite Lyric: “Sorry’s just a word unless you feel it.”

8. “The Hardest Part” by Olivia Dean

Favorite Lyric: “Lately I’ve been growing into someone you don’t know. You had the chance to love her, but apparently you don’t.”

Hannah Potter

New School '23

Hannah is a 20 something writer based in East Village, New York City. As well as the nature of her studies at The New School in the Culture and Media program, Hannah is focused on her pursuits as an independent creative writer and filmmaker. You can find Hannah on Instagram; @hannahtheelizabeth