Style > Beauty

Season Tips From Bergdoff-Goodman’s Lucy Garcia Planck

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at New School chapter.

Just like the weather, our bodies also go through changes. In the summer, with the sun shining down, our hair and skin might end up craving moisture. And in the winter, with the frosty temperatures and high winds blasting away, our nails and cuticles might beg for extra help. So what do we do? How do we take appropriate care of our body’s needs according to the seasons?

Well thanks to Lucy Garcia Planck, who is a professional hair-stylist for Bergdoff-Goodman’s John Barrett Salon, we no longer have to fret. Lucy gave Her Campus some of her insider tips on how to shine through all four seasons. If you’re interested in taking care of your nails, skin, and hair, read our interview with Lucy below! 

HC: What’s the key point to take into consideration when caring for winter skin versus summer skin?

LGP: Summer skin and winter skin have different needs. Winter skin is drier, so it requires extra attention— especially when it comes to being consistent about using a moisturizer! You can use a variety of natural oils (almond oil, coconut oil, olive oil) and combine them with a body cream right after you get out of the shower. Exfoliate with the oil and use a brush or exfoliant gloves in the shower with a circular motion— this will moisturize and exfoliate at the same time. 

Moisturizing year-round is important, but in the winter should, your moisturizer should be heavier than it is in the spring/summer months. During spring and summer, it’s important to incorporate SPF.  I do, however, recommend an SPF moisturizer for the winter months, too, as the sun is still out. Ultimately, using SPF can help to prevent wrinkles down the road.   

HC: What can be done to tackle dry and cracking cuticles?

LGP: Utilize coconut oil, almond oil, or olive oil. Rubbing any of these oils over the cuticles every day will have them feeling less dry and cracked, especially in the winter months.  You’ll see an improvement in just a couple of weeks and feel that they are healing. 

HC: Let’s talk about products. Does expensive necessarily mean better? Is there a specific brand you recommend for hair/nail/skincare?

LGP: Not necessarily! Sometimes an expensive product just smells good and its ingredients are actually nothing special. Even a common household product like Vaseline can do wonders for your cuticles/nail care. There are some great, reasonably priced products that you can find right at your local drugstore— I love the L’Oreal Paris EverPure Sulfate-Free Shampoo & ConditionerCetaphil is also a light facial cleanser. Additionally, I recommend using a clarifying formula like Neutrogena’s Anti-Residue shampoo once a week to deep-clean the hair and any buildup (such as when you use a lot of dry shampoo). 

HC: Speaking of shampoo, should one’s shampoo change according to seasons?

LGP: Shampoos/conditioners should mainly vary by hair type, rather than by season. If you find that your hair is lacking moisture and feels dry, you have to be careful and read the label on the shampoo to make sure it’s for dry hair. The same goes for volumizing shampoo, shampoo specific for color-treated hair, curly hair shampoo, etc.

Although, in the summertime, your hair can dry-out from swimming and the beach. In those cases, you can use a moisturizing shampoo and a leave-in conditioner. Sometimes when I’m in the pool, I put a deep conditioner just on the ends before I swim so that the chlorine water doesn’t dry up the ends. 

HC: People often choose the outside-in approach when it comes to beauty regimens, yet most doctors/specialists remind us that the best way to tackle problems is to address them inside-out. What are your recommendations for vitamins/superfoods that can help improve nail strength, hair growth and/or skin care?

LGP: Beauty definitely begins from the inside, out! Start your morning with a couple of glasses of water, either with lemon or plain before breakfast. Vitamins are essential in promoting beauty that starts from the inside. I take Vitfausion Gorgeous Hair Skin & Nails every day. It’s a gummy multivitamin with 5,000 mcg of Biotin, Vitamin C, and E- all essential nutrients to maintain healthy hair (and help it stay strong and grow), glowing skin and strong nails. Remember to eat your vegetables! Cucumber, spinach, kale, carrots—any green vegetable is great for your skin. If you don’t like the taste, blend it up into a delicious juice! 

HC: What’s your number One beauty tip secret?

LGP: The number one beauty secret of mine is staying hydrated. Drink water and exercise at least three times a week. This will also help you promote beauty from inside-out. 

Pro tips: After a long night or weekend, cold cucumbers on the eyes can help your skin look less tired. Make a DIY face mask with baking soda, coconut oil, and a drop of apple cider vinegar to clean the skin, leave on for 10 or more minutes and wash off with cold water. This is a very light exfoliate and will leave your skin very soft. Rubbing ice on the skin when you wake up will help you feel like you look less tired by closing up your pores.  

Interested in keeping up with Lucy and her hot tips? Follow her on Instagram here

[Feature Image Courtesy of Lucy G. Planck]

Rama Majzoub

New School

Rama is Editor in Chief and Campus Correspondent at The New School. She is on track to graduate with a master's in psychology in spring of 2018.