BIG BOOTS 1png?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
BIG BOOTS 1png?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Reformation, ASOS, Outdoor Voices, Shopbop
Style

Practical Cold Weather Fashion Trends

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at New School chapter.

Who says being practical is boring? When the Fall/Winter 2019 collections were unveiled at fashion weeks back in March, I was excited to see a number of practical trends make their way down the catwalk. I salute the houses that know what it’s like to get dressed in the morning when it’s freezing outside—but still want to look good when you’re bundling up to face the tundra. Here, I have rounded up four of my favorite fall and winter trends that are realistic in a New York winter. 

Long overcoats

Warm coats are winter wardrobe essentials, but a puffy parka isn’t always the best option style-wise. On the contrary, long overcoats can be dressed up or down and still do the job. Fun prints and fabrics allow you to play around with the trend, making it more personal than just throwing on a black water resistant number.

Headwear

The (now iconic) padded Prada headband and Tom Ford’s furry take on bucket hats make finishing touches and bundling up big statements. Whether you need to get your hair out of your face or aren’t in the mood to catch a cold, headwear is a trend that can help you out. Beanies and berets and Blair Waldorf inspired headbands all do the trick.

Fleece

Remember those North Face fleece jackets everyone wore in middle school? Brands like Sandy Liang, J.Crew and Outdoor Voices offer a wide range of fun colors and cuts—a more mature take on the fall jacket your mom made you throw on as a kid. This kind of pullover is perfect for running errands, running to class or just running (if you’re into that).

Boots

Doc Martens are really having a moment this season and rightfully so! Chunky boots are perfect for stomping around in during the colder months. A number of high fashion houses—like Alexander McQueen and Prada—sent models down the runway in big black boots for this season. Boots are a staple because of their functionality and versatility, so you’ll look cool and practical

Claudia Langella is a Literary Studies major at Lang and is the Chapter Leader of HCTNS. When she's not writing, it's likely you'll find her in the kitchen or taking long walks in the city.
If you're interested HCTNS, please e-mail us at hc.newschool@hercampus.com