This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at New School chapter.

With the weather getting nicer in New York it’s hard to resist the temptation to join the hundreds of people you see lounging in cafes and parks while walking to your next two-hour-long lecture. On top of that, deadline season is fast approaching, with only a couple of weeks left until the end of the semester. Stress around finals week is starting to creep into our daily lives, so to welcome it with ease we decided to compile a list of our favorite study spots on and off campus. From libraries and study spaces on campus to coffee shops where you can actually study, our list has something for all types of studiers.

Black Cat LES

Keti Akhalbedashvili

This cozy cafe on the Lower East Side is the perfect recipe for a no-distraction environment. It’s not usually too crowded, especially if you visit it on weekdays — the usual crowd here is full of people working silently on their laptops or reading a book. Occasionally, you will see study groups huddled around the tables. With comfortable sofas, great coffee and board games for customers to borrow, Black Cat is perfect for a long day of studying. 

TarTine

If you’re looking for a quick moment of socialization during study breaks, or if you’re looking for a place to cram last-minute readings during lunch, consider stopping by Tartine. Located right around the corner from campus, it’s a great place to grab a quick bite before you run to the library. 

PostMark Cafe

If you are looking to explore Brooklyn while writing your 10-page research essay, make sure to check out Postmark Cafe in Park Slope. This cozy neighborhood hangout has everything — great coffee, an interior that feels like your living room, outdoor seating options and even little phone booths where you can join Zoom meetings or take impromptu phone calls without being anxious about disturbing others.

Think COffee, The High line & The Hudson River

Deeva Thomas

My top study spots include The High Line, Hudson River and Think Coffee! I’ve been liking the first two more recently, as it’s gotten warmer and you can enjoy the sunshine and fresh air while you work. There are a lot of other people working at The High Line, a place full of plants and art, which is a great motivation booster for me. Additionally, The High Line offers an incredible view of New York City in the distance. You can spend the whole day there on one of the many wooden recliners. Taking a walk can ease your mind and may help you focus on what you need to get done. The Hudson River is also a great choice for similar reasons! If you love to work under the spell of brewed coffee grounds then one of Think Coffee’s cafes is a great place to go! Make a list of specific goals you want to accomplish to avoid procrastination. I usually jot mine down in my bullet journal, but feel free to make a list digitally!

The Lang Courtyard, THE UC Library & Elsewhere Espresso

Gabriella Bottomley

My favorite study spaces are the Lang Courtyard, the University Center Library and Elsewhere Espresso in the East Village. The courtyard between the Lang building on W 11th Street and Kaplan Hall on W 12th Street is a great place to study and read, especially when it’s sunny and warm. It is also a great place to attend Zoom meetings for class. The University Center Library is another excellent place for studying. I love the views of the city, and there are lamps for late-night studying, which are a huge plus if you need to complete assignments for that dreaded 11:59 p.m. deadline. Lastly, I love a good cup of coffee, so Elsewhere Espresso is another good place to study while you get some caffeine. They are located in the East Village, not too far from campus, and have indoor and outdoor seating for all of your study needs. However, if you want to stay close to campus, many coffee shops around Greenwich Village are just as unique. There are still so many cafes that I want to visit and check out, but note that many are pretty small, so finding space to sit and study may be difficult. But with tons of cafes to choose from around the city, I am sure that you will find the perfect place to study.

Deeva Thomas

New School '25

Hello! My name is Deeva and I am a freshman at The New School – Parsons School of Design and majoring in communication design. My hobbies include playing the ukulele, bullet journalling and singing! Thank you for stopping by :)
Keti is a Culture and Media major at Eugene Lang College at The New School. When she isn't writing, you can find her reading and working on her project Éphémère Archives – an anthology of mini-documentaries.