An Open Letter to All Those Who Feel Homesick

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at New School chapter.

Dear fellow freshmen,

This isn’t really a letter meant to give you “advice” about how to not be homesick, because I am a freshman and I can hardly handle it myself. I am writing this to let you know that if you spent a night, two nights or more crying because you were about to leave all of friends, pets, siblings (even if you say you hate each other), and your parents, or you  ran to the bathroom once they dropped you at college to cry silently away from your new roommate, THEN YOU ARE NOT ALONE. If you forgot about all of that and now you’re sad again…I’m sorry. It’s good to deal with underlying feelings, though. I’m actually writing this to sort through how I also feel about everything.I moved to Manhattan about two weeks ago…and it has been the two longest weeks of my life. I went home for Labor Day Weekend, and if I’m being completely honest, I seriously struggled with the idea of going back. I had my puppy—who, was my replacement at home as my mom also couldn’t handle the goodbye—lying next to me in my actual bed (that I used to think was uncomfortable, until sleeping on a dorm mattress), food that I don’t have to walk 30 minutes round-trip and use my meal-plan for, and plans to see some of my best friends from home. And, I know this is cheesy, but I am so happy that I can actually hug my mom goodnight and feel the safety of knowing that she is close by.

Moving to someplace new can be really hard, especially when you’re as bad as I am with goodbyes. I remember saying that I’d be on the first train to Grand Central after graduation. What I didn’t realize is my hometown will always be special to me because it is where I grew up, where I made so many good memories, where I cried and where I laughed. I find myself trying to relate new things and new people to things and people I grew up with just to feel more comfortable. I don’t actually know if my teacher really reminds me of my eye doctor, or if I am stretching reality to cope.

All of this being said, I would be lying if I didn’t say I love it in Manhattan. I love the electric and hopeful energy. I love that I share a suite with such amazing people and that I can take an elevator down four floors and be with even more of great people that I have met. I have learned that it’s okay to love the new place too.

Anyways, school taught me to always sum things up…so, here it goes. Remember that it’s also okay to feel homesick. It’s not something you have to get rid of or feel ashamed about. Talk about it and share what you’re feeling, so you don’t have to feel it alone! Be brave, be courageous and keep what you love in mind. I will too and I hope it works for both of us.

Love,

A homesick freshman

Elizabeth Tracey

New School '21

Annemarie Imnadze is an undeclared freshman and Co-Campus Correspondent of the Her Campus Chapter at The New School.