Musical Mondays and Other Fun at Village East by Angelika

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at New School chapter.

Looking for a fun weeknight experience? Musical Mondays at the Village East by Angelika could be your solution. 

Village East by Angelika located on 2nd Ave is a staple to the community. Unlike most commercial theaters, Village East by Angelika has a wide variety of programming to offer. This theater plays everything from big box office movies to smaller, indie films, meaning there’s something here for everyone. 

Musical Mondays is an event featured on the fourth Monday of every month. This event showcases movies such as Singing in the Rain, Hairspray, Les Misérables, Grease and many other fun options. Musical Mondays is a great way to see your favorite classic films on the big screen!

Coming on Monday, April 24th, the 1961 West Side Story will be playing. Starring Natalie Wood and Richard Beymer, this take on Romeo and Juliet that is set in New York City is chock full of artfully choreographed dance numbers, classic songs, action and of course, romance. Whether you grew up watching Maria and Tony, or you’re just a lover of extravagant musicals,  there is no better movie to see this Monday. 

If you can’t make this event, luckily there are more to come that you can mark on your calendar. Village East by Angelika hosts a range of themed events throughout the year including movies in 35 MM every 2nd Monday of the month; Alfred Hitchcock’s biggest movies all through October (or Hitchtober as they call it); and coming up, there is a summer series featuring all of Studio Ghibli’s films.

With only one or two showings per movie, tickets are in high demand to see these beloved films. If you’re interested in seeing West Side Story this Monday, book tickets ahead of time on the Village East by Angelika website to get your chance to take advantage of this cool theater before the semester ends. Also, don’t forget to show your student ID for a discount!

Nora Vogt

New School '26

Nora is a first-year student at the New School. Her major is currently undecided, but she enjoys literary studies and creative writing. She loves the Foo Fighters, her dog Maggie, and reading.