This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at New School chapter.

A great fear of mine is not knowing enough. The thought of not reading every book ever written gets me restless; my favorite novel might actually not be my favorite. Though I know that my aspirations to read everything are wild and vain, I found that reading used books and supporting local bookshops trumps infinite knowledge. Picking up any old book, you’re met with years of wisdom and muses from previous owners. And if the book includes annotations, you’ve essentially hit the jackpot. What better way of absorbing someone’s wisdom than actively reading their own thoughts.

Below I’ve listed my three favorite local bookshops, the holy trinity.

Alabaster Bookshop

Named after the ashen white stone, Alabaster books is an old-fashioned quaint shop on Fourth Avenue. Inside their aged wooden bookshelves, you’re bound to get lost in pools of diverse books ranging from modern reads to rare finds—Ask the owner to see their signed titles! Their popular two dollar carts outside offer a great selection of hardcovers.

Unoppressive Non-Imperialist Bargain Books

Unoppressive books is currently closed temporarily due to a rent hike. Since the prospect of it opening again sources my overall optimism about the world, I’ll resume my description as if the store is open and thriving.

Owned by the world’s wittiest man with long white locks that rests underneath a campaign hat, Jim Drougas is the blood of vein of Unoppressive books; each book is tailored to his character and are strictly bargained. The last time I visited, I purchased a great amount of books mounting up to $27, where Drougas informed me that my total mirrored Bernie Sanders average campaign donation. Aside from the great selections, the ambiance of the store conjures more customers. The radio station that played, I recall, had some of the greatest jazz tunes!

Mercer Street Books and Records

Since 1990, Mercer Street has sold affordable out-of-print books, used titles, and vinyl records. Located on 206 Mercer St, this place is swarmed with incredible reads enough to fulfill a bookworm’s dreams. The choice of LPs consist of underground music to satisfy every person’s interests. I could spend hours in this shop and still think it isn’t enough.

Jana Mohamed

New School '26

Jana Mohamed is a student at The New School. She enjoys making ceramics and going on really long walks.