This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at New School chapter.

Early this morning the influential designer Kate Spade was found dead in her New York apartment. She was pronounced dead just before 10:30 a.m due to a self-inflicted injury. She hanged herself in her bedroom on Park Avenue. Kate left a note behind, but nothing about the note’s contents has been revealed. Hopefully, this note will bring her family the answers they seek after this tragic incident. She was only 55 years old and still had a long  life ahead of her. Her talent and her career has provided us with a countless number of remarkable gifts. Women in the fashion industry are precious and this loss is tremendous and heart-wrenching.

Her handbags served as the first purse for millions of girls. Many young women would tug at their mom’s shirt in hopes that she would say yes to her daughter holding a Kate Spade handbag at Macy’s. With bright colors and chic designs, her purses were eye-catching and unique. She holds a special place in the hearts of many young girls and women alike. As Chelsea Clinton recalls shortly after Kate’s passing, “My grandmother gave me my first Kate Spade bag when I was in college. I still have it. Holding Kate’s family, friends and loved ones in my heart.”

Kate Spade remains a symbol of femininity and fashion. Her style and popular aesthetic will always have an impact on future designers and those who love fashion. Kate graduated from the Arizona State University in 1985 with a degree in journalism. After college, she began a job in an accessory department where she worked hard and built connections that eventually lead her to become the head of accessory design. She then started her own accessory business in 1991 and created the ‘Kate Spade Handbags’ trademark in 1996 with her husband. Kate quickly became a successful entrepreneur with a wide fan base. She has paved the way for female designers who rose to fame in her footsteps.

Source: laconceria.it

Kate Spade’s untimely death has the potential to show each of us how precious life is and how quickly it can disappear. It is okay to reach out to those who care for you and ask for help. Those who love you want you to live a vibrant and healthy life. I can speak for plenty of people when I say that Kate Spade has played a crucial role in their lives. Her spirit and legacy will continue to glisten and thrive through the designs and work of other artists. Kate’s mark is eternally engraved within the industry that she contributed so much to. Thank you Kate, for the goodness and beauty that you have brought into our lives.

Madison Hartz is majoring in creative writing and minoring in religious studies at the New School.
If you're interested HCTNS, please e-mail us at hc.newschool@hercampus.com