This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at New School chapter.

Sunday was the last night of Hannukah. So, I thought it would be beneficial for all my fellow Coeliacs to share a recipe for Gluten-Free latkes.

This is the perfect activity to do with a bunch of friends – paired with some apple cider and Abba playing in the background.

Here’s the list of ingredients you will need:

1. Russet Potatoes
  2. Gluten-Free all-purpose flour – white rice flour or sweet rice flour would also suffice
  3. Eggs
  4. Onions, shallots, or chives for seasoning

After stopping by Trader Joe’s to pick up our ingredients, as well as some peppermint Oreos for snacking, we began to prepare our dish.

Instead of buying potatoes, we bought frozen pre-shredded potatoes to save ourselves a step.

After letting those defrost, we placed them on a clean dish towel along with the chopped-up shallots/chives/onions – we chopped up one shallot. Wrap the vegetables up and ring the juices out over the kitchen sink.

Place your vegetables in a large bowl. Now, we’re going to start mixing! To prevent oxidation of the potatoes you can add a bit of lemon juice. We skipped this step.

Add an appropriate amount of eggs to your mix, we added two eggs for our cup of vegetables. Mix this, and then you are ready to add your flour – we added about 1/4th of a cup. Season with salt and pepper, or any spices of your choice. You can mix this with a fork, or if you want to get playful you can use your hands.

Frying time! Coat your pan with 1/8th of oil – we used vegetable oil, but canola oil and sunflower oil will work the same. Heat your pan to a medium to high heat and once the oil begins to bubble and smoke you are ready to add the latkes!

Cook until browned, place on a drying rack, and serve!

You can eat your latkes with sour cream or applesauce. I prefer the latter!

Check out this recipe for more detailed information!

Happy cooking!

Tara is a New York-based Journalist studying at The Eugene Lang College of The New School. She has a passion for unique storytelling and mental health advocacy. Aside from writing, she enjoys singing and spending time with animals. See more of Tara's work on taralamorgese.wixsite.com/website!