From Video Game to Big Screen: The Mario Movie Leveled Up

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at New School chapter.

Warning: This article contains spoilers for the Super Mario Bros Movie.

The release of “The Super Mario Bros Movie” had Nintendo fans (myself included) across the globe rejoicing with glee. Many of us grew up playing this fun lighthearted game on all kinds of consoles, from the GameCube to the Nintendo DS to the Switch. Friendships destroyed in Mario Kart Wii, renewed in the teamwork of Super Mario Bros; many fond memories were made with this effervescent red-hat wearing plumber and his adorable green-adorning brother. 

The Super Mario Bros. Movie Official Trailer via YouTube

This isn’t the first time this popular franchise has been adapted as a film. Super Mario Bros. was released in 1993, following the plumber brothers on a wild adventure throughout Brooklyn and another parallel universe filled with dinosaurs and Goombas. But with its poor CGI (it was produced in the 90’s) and drastically different storyline, it didn’t resonate well with Nintendo fans, receiving a tomato meter rating of 29%.

Thus, in 2023, a seemingly golden age of technology, particularly CGI, it’s no wonder why this film was so amazing. It’s honestly so heartwarming to see the characters I grew up with alive and moving on the big screen. 

@supermariomovie via Instagram

The film begins with baddie Bowser and his elaborate ship looming in a snowy horizon. We’re presumably in the snow world of your favorite 2D platformer game, and not surprisingly, Bowser is plotting to take over. Side note: I did let out a squeal of joy when I saw the penguins come to fight back. 

With the antagonist introduced, it was about time to meet the heroes we were all waiting for. Mario and Luigi have created a commercial to promote their plumbing business, the iconic Super Mario Bros Super Show theme playing in the background. That was definitely one of the highlights of the movie: the subtle nods and references to old Mario shows and games. 

And if you were skeptical about Chris Pratt voicing an iconic Italian plumber, I honestly had moments where I would forget it was Pratt. I’m not sure how they masked his distinct voice, but it wasn’t so blatant that it was him behind the scenes. 

My favorite part of the movie however, was Princess Peach. That’s definitely a biased choice as the pink princess was the first character I ever used in a Mario game and her voice actor, Anya Taylor Joy is one of my favorite actresses. Gone was the damsel in distress role we’re so accustomed to seeing in princesses, even with Peach herself. This Peach was giving Mario a run for his money, driving a motorcycle in an epic fight on Rainbow Road and kicking Bowser’s butt in the prettiest wedding dress I’ve ever seen. Truly the epitome of girlboss.

@thehollywoodhandle via Twitter

Peach wasn’t the only iconic moment in the movie, though. The musical and video game references had me geeking like a little kid. Mario’s fight with the infamous Donkey Kong was reminiscent of Thor’s fight with Hulk in Thor Ragnarok. And if you haven’t seen that, I HIGHLY recommend it. The race on Rainbow Road altered the trajectory of my life for the better. Jack Black’s Bowser made us laugh to tears with his beautiful rendition of “Peaches,” a touching and slightly delusional tribute to the Mushroom Kingdom’s princess. It was such a fun ride and when I wasn’t dying of laughter, I was wiping tears of joy at the wonderful childhood memories I was reliving in real time.

Even if you aren’t a major Mario fan, I still recommend this amazing film. It provides you with a nostalgia that will have you looking back on fond childhood memories and its genuinely captivating storyline will have you invested. So don’t wait any longer to go see it. Let’s-a-go!  

Kea Humilde

New School '26

Kea Humilde is a New School first year intending to major in Journalism+Design and minor in Fashion Communications. When she's not busy shopping in the city and creating content, she's rooting for the Los Angeles Chargers.