This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at New School chapter.

With November underway, it is officially the start of the holiday season, and with so comes the perfect time for bundling up and watching movies. Old Hollywood films make some of the best movies to indulge in and are not nearly talked about enough. And yes, I included two Cary Grant movies because they really are that good. 

1. Notorious (1946)

Starring Cary Grant and Ingrid Bergman, Notorious has something for everyone. From German spies to a strained love story, Grant and Bergman’s cold thrilling tension is the perfect thing to watch when in need of a dramatic thriller (without the unnecessary theatrics of horror films). While it doesn’t necessarily scream holiday, this film noir is destined to be watched bundled up against the cold. 

1. My Man Godfrey (1936)

This comedy has proved timeless over many decades with Carole Lombard and William Powell acting as a spoiled socialite a “forgotten man.” While the plot technically has nothing to do with the fall season, the tension between the two characters is compelling enough to forget the gloomy weather. 

1. Singing in the Rain (1952)

While this may seem a little on the nose, Singing in the Rain is a must-see in the cinema world. From the sets to the costumes, it’s a timeless classic that is sure to spark joy on a rainy day. 

1. Only Angels Have Wings (1939)

Also starring Cary Grant, Only Angels Have Wings is a captivating, heart-wrenching story of a tiny airline that delivers mail on violent routes. Shot in black and white film, you are sure to be on the edge of your seat in this gripping American drama. 

1. Meet Me in Saint Louis (1944)

The epitome of a holiday classic. Meet Me in Saint Louis, starring Judy Garland, is perhaps the most ultimate watch of the holiday season. It’s a musical comedy centered around Christmas that features some surprises and tear-jerking moments.

Micaela is a junior at The New School studying Journalism and Design. When she's not correcting her habit of run-on sentences, she can be found obsessing about her cat, Lizzie, buying eight-dollar lattes, and reading. Her work can also be found on Tower Records publication, "Pulse!"