toa heftiba ZWKNDOjwito unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
toa heftiba ZWKNDOjwito unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

The Eerie Manifesto: A Call to The Revival of Halloween

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at New School chapter.

It was October 31st, I was in my classical sociological theory class that I showed up 20 minutes late for (per usual) when I saw a girl across the room dressed head to toe like a nun. That girl is my hero. She did not care that it was 40 degrees outside, or that she was in a full costume at 9 am while everyone else wore thrifted sweaters and plaid pants (per typical Lang fall fashion). The spirit of Halloween radiated off of her. She was the spirit of Halloween. She was the bravest woman I had ever known.

Ever since that day, I’ve thought, ‘what happened to Halloween?’ Have we lost our haunted touch with the month of October? Has the fragile thread that connects our hearts to horror been cut? When did we all collectively decide that as we got older, Halloween would be cut down to a single party or event like some reduced vinaigrette sauce?

Throughout the years Halloween went from being an excuse to eat candy for weeks on end, to an excuse to start drinking on a Wednesday. It just became another night. Sure, we’re all inspired and excited by the witch and zombie decor in TJ Maxx, and we have one of our two excuses a year to watch A Nightmare Before Christmas (it’s both a Halloween and Christmas movie: the duality of man).

Halloween used to be more than just one night, or an afterthought. It used to be the biggest event of the year. Halloween is basically a midwestern kid’s New York Fashion Week. We were all that midwestern kid. Even if Halloween wasn’t exactly your thing, Halloween was still your thing.  Let’s take back Halloween from the kids, let’s make it our holiday again. Forget the Cheeto-fingered 12 year olds dressed like bumble-bees and Mike from Stranger Things. Let’s go trick-or-treating. Let’s have apple-bobbing contests (well, if you’re white, I guess). Let’s scare our friends with something other than a Twitter video. Let’s make Halloween ours. I know I can’t be alone in this proposal. I know there are hundreds of thousands of ghostly beings who want to write the Halloween manifesto, who want to be the face of the eerie revolution. Do what you have to do to get back in the Halloween spirit. Watch Halloweentown, listen to Stevie Nicks all month long (again, if you’re white), dress up everyday. Be inspired by the blood, the gore, the ghosts, the mummies, the candy. Do what you got to do to feel inspired.

Forget what everyone else says, you’re never too old to trick or treat. It’s free food, and you’re never too old for free food. I want my damn candy. Rent a toddler if you have to! Maybe you and your 3 year old actor can wear matching costumes. Or have a pumpkin carving night with your pals. Throw a Halloween movie marathon. Bake those dank mini sugar cookies that were meant to be eaten in mass quantities (do that every day of the year, actually). Be as bold and courageous as the girl dressed like a nun in my class, and feel the Halloween spirit this year.

Yasi Mousavi

New School '21

Yasi Mousavi is a second year at The New School. Originally from Nashville, TN--Yasi is planning on pursuing a double major in philosophy and screen studies. When she is not writing, she enjoys aggressively binge-watching T.V. shows and trying her best to become Mindy Kaling.
If you're interested HCTNS, please e-mail us at hc.newschool@hercampus.com