The Coffee Shop Restaurant in Union Square Shut Down and Why Am I Sad?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at New School chapter.

The Coffee Shop, a restaurant across the street from Union Square Park and located on the corner of the 16th Street New School building, closed its doors on October 11th after 28 years of business. It was a New York institution and it’s closing has many feeling sad and nostalgic. Everyone has a story about The Coffee Shop and how they found out it’s closing.

I found out last Tuesday morning when I woke up drowsy from a cold, a bit hungover from too many bourbon shots, and very tired from work the night before. I was in a haze walking to class when I passed by The Coffee Shop. They’re usually bustling with patrons, but that day the outside seating was gone, there was not a person in sight, and there was a Public Auction sign displayed on the windows. The scene caught me off guard as I was already a bit discombobulated, but this sight sent me over the edge. I was in complete shock and confusion.

I was never a regular at The Coffee Shop. I only dined there two times. Once was in my freshman year, I went with my roommate who had become a very close friend. We ate outside and I had a grilled cheese with a tomato on it, like how my Grandma makes them. We were hesitant about ordering drinks since we didn’t have our fake IDs yet. We quietly analyzed our waiter deciding if he seemed like the type to check for verification. The next and last time, was about a year later. I had time to kill in between classes and was craving a grilled cheese. The waiter gave me a complimentary mimosa. I couldn’t tell if it was because the waiter felt sorry he forgot about me in the lunch rush or if he felt bad that I was eating alone, but I was grateful for the free drink either way.

Those are my only memories of eating at The Coffee Shop. But I walked by that restaurant almost every day for the past three years. Always envious of the customers sitting outside on nice days, enjoying a meal and laughing with friends, while I was on my way to sit in a two-hour class. Yet at the same time, it was a comforting scene, watching people enjoy themselves. And that scene became part of my routine. So when I walked by the desolate, bleak, empty Coffee Shop last Tuesday, I felt sad and empty myself.

It probably also has to do with my need for stability and routine. The Coffee Shop has been a staple of my time in New York City, from passing by it on my way to class in the daytime, to walking home from my job at the library at night as the large red COFFEE sign glowed behind me. And the restaurant’s closing comes at a time when I’ve been thinking about my own future, what I’ll do once I graduate, and what change I will have to eventually accept. Sometimes I wish I could keep the routine I have going now forever because I’m content. Yet I know change is inevitable and also know it’s good, even if it’s hard.

So good-bye to The Coffee Shop. Your presence will be severely missed. But who knows – maybe something even better will take your place. I just hope it’s not vegan.

Photo Taken By Me, Freshman Year

Logan Mahan

New School '20

Logan is a senior studying Journalism + Design at The New School. Her interests include (but not limited to) fashion, politics, red wine, the Bee Gees, playing "I Wanna Dance With Somebody" by Whitney Houston at every function she attends, and of course, writing. 
If you're interested HCTNS, please e-mail us at hc.newschool@hercampus.com