Attending New York’s Saint Patrick’s Day Parade as a First-Generation Irish-American

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at New School chapter.

St. Patrick’s Day is known as a holiday compiled of day-drinking and green-themed festivities. Many do not know the true meaning behind the Irish-themed day. According to History.com, the date is meant to observe the death of patron St. Patrick who is credited with bringing Christianity to Ireland in the fifth century.

For me, a first-generation Irish-American, St. Patrick’s Day is a time to embrace my heritage. At age 25, my mother moved to the United States from Clonaslee, County Laois. She has been here since. I have visited Clonaslee semi-annually since I was six months old. I spent my childhood summers in the Irish countryside, helping my uncle with farm duties, picking strawberries in my Aunt’s garden, and traversing through fields of cattle with my cousins. I have learned that even when I am away, I take a little piece of Ireland with me everywhere.

Neither of us had attended The NYC St. Patrick’s is Day Parade. Since the parade’s Covid-19 induced two-year hiatus was no longer in effect, we decided to take advantage of the opportunity.

On the 17th at 11:00 A.M., we arrived at East 51st Street, right in front of St. Patrick’s Cathedral. I, in fluorescent green tights and a shirt gifted to me from my aunt that said “all Irish wild girl,” and my mother in all blue – oddly enough, she did not own any green. In true Irish fashion, it was raining.

We stood for nearly three hours watching people gather from all facets of life to celebrate Irish culture. After all, everyone is a little Irish on St. Patrick’s day! Bagpipes played and step-dancers performed. First responders decked in green smiled proudly as they marched down Fifth Avenue. Bands from Massachusetts to New Jersey played Irish war songs such as “The Boys of the Old Brigade.” The American Irish Teachers Association, the Council of Gaelic Societies of New York, and the NYC Transit Emeralds, amongst others were present. People marched in groups with their respective counties – all 32 of Ireland’s counties were represented. It was too cold for my mother and me to wait for Laois.

I would encourage anyone, no matter their ethnic or cultural background, to attend New York’s St. Patrick’s Day Parade. There, you can see a true display of community amongst pipers and dancers, nurses and teachers, and government officials and pedestrians.

I will close this article with a famous Irish blessing:

“May the Irish hills caress you.
May her lakes and rivers bless you.
May the luck of the Irish enfold you.
May the blessings of Saint Patrick behold you.”

Tara is a New York-based Journalist studying at The Eugene Lang College of The New School. She has a passion for unique storytelling and mental health advocacy. Aside from writing, she enjoys singing and spending time with animals. See more of Tara's work on taralamorgese.wixsite.com/website!