This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at New School chapter.

Many of you may have heard of Apple TV+’s new show, Severance, for it has gained some popularity since its release earlier this year in February. The show’s first season features nine episodes and is currently available with an Apple TV+ subscription. Severance is a thriller about a man named Mark, played by Parks and Recreation star Adam Scott, whose memories have been split between his work and personal life through a voluntary surgical procedure. Mark tries to discover the true nature of his work at Lumon with the help of a colleague and his team of employees.

I finished watching the show last week alongside my brother and although it took some time to get invested, the show ended up being an exciting mind-boggling journey. At first, the show did not seem appealing to me, for it was difficult to wrap my head around everything happening in just the first few episodes. However, once I got to the last few episodes, the show became super interesting, and I found myself invested in each character and how their unique individual storylines contribute to the overarching plotline of Severance. Furthermore, each character’s unique individual story added to the complexity and appeal of the show. The show’s intro sequence was extremely well made and thought-provoking. I have always loved watching intro sequences and wished that more tv shows like Severance had ones that were not just close-ups of the title. Severance also reminds me of another tv show, Mr. Robot. Both shows are complex and hard to understand but provide audiences with a lot to think about. Severance forces audiences to consider what life would be like if we lived two completely separate lives and forces us to consider much greater questions surrounding the future of technology and science.

Although, the show is only available to Apple TV+ subscribers like me, it is definitely worth the watch. With the ongoing competition among streaming services, Apple TV+ has made it known that they want to compete against other big-name streaming services like Netflix. So far their original shows and movies have gained traction with the media and the public as they have won some awards for movies like CODA and series like Ted Lasso. I cannot wait to watch another season of Severance and cannot wait to see what Apple TV+ produces in the future.

Gabriella is a Junior studying Culture and Media at The New School's Eugene Lang College of Liberal Arts. When she's not writing or doing schoolwork, she enjoys watching movies, drinking way too much coffee, and exploring the city!