Life > Experiences

A(n inexpensive) Holi-Date in the Park

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at New School chapter.

Rushing off of the Q line—hands gripped tightly and smiles on—you both notice the smell: the pure aroma that reminds you the holidays are near. As you enter Central Park from Midtown, you and your partner can make your way through the aisle of cartoonists, musicians, and ballroom dancers under the arch to the famous Bethesda Terrace and Fountain. You both can gaze into one each other’s eyes while throwing a penny in the fountain for good luck, and maybe, a wish. 

After you enjoy your walk around the water, you’ll make your way to the pocketed view of the El Dorado building and that’s when you will kiss them, making it the perfect moment in the park. You’ll both notice the other couples rowing away in their row boats by the cafe and continue your journey to the Hans Christian Andersen Monument where you will then see the submergence of children’s sailing boats in the Conservatory Water. 

Watching the myriad of dog breeds pass you by from the dog park across the way, continue straight ahead and exit on E 79th St. Make a left and take a trip through time at The Metropolitan Museum of Art (for free). If you live or are a student in New York City all you need to do is show either your school ID or a piece of mail addressed to your apartment—with that you are free to donate any amount you’d like to the museum, ranging anywhere from one cent to $100 (I usually aim between $1 to $5). This is a great way to add some sizzle and spark to your already-lovely date.

Once the weather turns chilly and the city light begins to fade, you and your date will probably be parched and ready to heat things up. On Madison between 78th and 79th, you can purchase two of the best hot chocolates you will ever have in your entire life (other than my abuela’s Mexican hot chocolate) at Sant Ambroeus—to go, of course. Now, this will be the priciest part of the entire date, rounding up to $14 for two cups of decadent delightfulness (it is worth it). 

Taking your cups of steamed cacao you will walk all the way to Rockefeller Center where you will witness the most fashionable light show on the storefront of Saks Fifth Avenue, jump on the giant piano in FAO Schwarz, and lastly, see the tree lighting ceremony while ending the night with a Snoopy-sized-smooch. 

Happy Holidays! From my family to yours. 

Paloma is a senior in the BA/BFA program at The New School majoring in Literature at Eugene Lang College and Vocal Jazz at The School of Jazz and Contemporary Music with a minor at Parsons in Fashion Communications. She enjoys performing, writing, reading, hiking, and spending time with her pups-Daisy & Minnie, kitty cat-Chai, and her silkie chickens.