This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at New School chapter.

Looking for easy instruction on how to get into PC gaming? No need to continue searching, the answers are right here:

What is PC Gaming?

There are two main ways a video game can played: with console or PC. Console gaming is done on a console like the Xbox, PS5, or Nintendo Switch, and is played with a handheld controller. PC (Personal Computer) gaming refers to playing video games on a computer, generally with a mouse and keyboard. Consoles generally have less barrier to entry, as the overall setup cost is lower and many people grow up using handheld controllers. However, PC gaming is growing in popularity. While PC’s have a higher startup cost, they can last forever, as you can swap out individual parts, and you’ll be able to play any game available to computers, though many console games are only available to new models.

PC Setup

• PC:
    • There’s two ways to set up a PC: build your own, or buy a prebuilt. As a beginner, building your own PC may seem daunting or just completely uninteresting, and personally, I wouldn’t recommend it unless you’re really interested in computer technology and learning the mechanics right away. If you’re interested, there are some great websites that list the parts you’ll need, and teach you how to build a PC in-depth. For those who just want to start gaming, there are tons of great prebuilts out there, which does not take much effort to set up—just unbox and plug in! Over time you can replace and upgrade parts if you’d like, but they should be ready to play on right away.
  • Monitor:
    • Your computer monitor is the screen, and will attach to your PC with a cord. You can get a monitor for decently cheap at Best Buy, and it can also have use as a small TV.
    • Keyboard:
      • Keyboards are arguably one of the most fun parts of a gaming setup. To begin, you can find mechanical keyboards on Amazon for under $50, like this one from Motospeed (it’s very clanky but it’s a great keyboard). Larger brands such as Razer, Corsair, and Logitech make great keyboards, but they generally come at a higher price point around $100+). Many gamers have fun in customizing the colors, sizes, switches (the piece under the keycap that changes the sound and pressure of typing), and cords of their keyboards. The Reddit community r/MechanicalKeyboards, made for discussing these very things, boasts 1.2million members, and you can find inspiration there!
    • Mouse:
      • To start, you don’t need a fancy mouse. Wireless ones are nice if you don’t want to worry about a cord, but some people prefer wired mouses so they don’t have to worry about charging. Razer has a great option for $20 here. Make sure you grab a mousepad too!
    • Headset:
      • Always start out with wired earbuds, which you may already own. Earbuds do not need to be expensive, any kind works. If you want to purchase a headset, it can be a bit of a process. Like with the mouse, you’ll need to choose between wired and wireless, which is all personal preference. With headsets, watching reviews on YouTube is a good idea, so you can hear user opinions on sound quality, comfort, and mic quality. Once again, Razer, Corsair, and Logitech all make great gaming headsets, but they can get pricey. HyperX is a great brand for audio, and they have a $29 model on Amazon.
    • Applications:
      • There are a few free websites and applications a beginner gamer should get familiar with. Discord is an app which can be used for calling and chatting with friends and for joining servers that focus on a variety of interests and games. Steam is where you can find a huge variety of games, at a wide variety of price points and studio sizes. Most major games are sold on Steam. Itch.io is an indie game website, and hosts a large collection of free games from small game developers and artists, and it’s really fun to explore!

Games

Unfortunately, there’s a huge barrier to entry on many games, especially if you’re new to gaming in general and don’t have developed skills aiming, moving quickly, or using the controls. Here’s some fun games that I think can help you get into gaming, both for single players, and those interested in playing with friends.

• Clone Drone In The Danger Zone – (solo/multiplayer)
      • KeyWe – (multiplayer)
      • Minecraft – (solo/multiplayer)
      • Apex Legends – (multiplayer)
      • Roblox – (multiplayer)

Handling Toxicity

Toxicity and aggression is a big issue when playing online games. While there’s no way to prevent people from being discouraging, annoying, or outright abusive, there’s a few things you can do to combat it and keep your gaming experience positive.

• Play solo/offline
      • Play with friends
      • Mute chats
      • Block and report
        Sydney White

New School '25

Hi! I'm Sydney, and I'm currently studying at Eugene Lang at The New School. I'm from Michigan, and I love makeup/beauty, traveling, gaming, and being outdoors.