This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at New School chapter.

In the age of the e-reader, bookstores have become obsolete. Luckily, there are still bibliophiles out there who treasure flipping through a book enough to keep some of New York City’s greatest bookstores open. Bookstores offer a quiet haven in a busy city like New York.. When I decide to escape the indoors and head out on a walk, bookstores are often my destination. Their cozy atmospheres and bargain book selections transport me to a distinct world that’s different from the noisy sidewalks of Manhattan. I’ve rounded up some of my favorites and encourage you to keep independent booksellers alive and well!

The Strand

828 Broadway

(via New York Post)

First up is the famous Strand Book Store, located on the corner of 12th and Broadway where the three-floor building boasts 18 miles of books. The Strand’s rare book department, located on the third floor, houses hundreds of first edition and signed copies of the most classic literature. Bibliophiles fill the sidewalk along 12th Street, where the Strand sells bargain books, ranging from 49 cents to $5. The Strand is so much more than a bookstore, offering their own line of merchandise (stickers, tote bags and postcards) and hosting literary events and book signings—making it a Manhattan “landmark” (read more about that here).

Bookbook

266 Bleecker Street 

(via bookbooknyc.com)

Bookbook is an independent bookstore located in Greenwich Village. It is full to the brim with a number of titles, and their discounts on hardbacks are hard to come by in the city. Bookbook is small but that doesn’t stop book lovers from browsing their shelves and flipping through bargain books outside on Bleecker Street.

Three Lives & Company

154 West 10th Street

(via Annika Barranti Klein)

Three Lives & Company prides itself on community. People are always chatting with one another at checkout about the latest literary news. The bookstore offers a cozy and welcoming atmosphere, complete with dark wooden floors and warm, glowy light.

Housing Works Bookstore Cafe

126 Crosby Street

(via housingworks.org)

Located in Soho, the Housing Works Bookstore Cafe looks like an old library plucked out of an East Coast college campus—dark wood, tall bookcases, writers working hard in the cafe. A spiral staircase leads up to the second floor and gives you a great view of the space. The bookstore is bustling and a long line always awaits you at check out.

McNally Jackson

52 Prince Street

(via New York Magazine)

McNally Jackson has two locations—one in Manhattan, the other in Brooklyn. It’s less cozy than your average neighborhood book shop (it’s reminiscent of a Barnes & Noble, but with their own niche). The store is clean and bright and books hang from the ceiling. They offer a great magazine collection and a great spread of pastries in their cafe. Additionally, McNally Jackson hosts its own book clubs—The International Literature Book Club and the Spanish Book Lab.

Codex

1 Bleecker Street 

(via shootnewyorkcity.com)

If you blink, you might miss Codex, a super tiny haven for fiction and art lovers. Codex opened in 2018 on the corner of Bleecker Street and Bowery. It’s right next to Think Coffee—another great reason to check it out!

Claudia Langella is a Literary Studies major at Lang and is the Chapter Leader of HCTNS. When she's not writing, it's likely you'll find her in the kitchen or taking long walks in the city.
If you're interested HCTNS, please e-mail us at hc.newschool@hercampus.com