This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at New School chapter.

It’s that time of year again.

Colored leaves crunching underneath the weight of your boots as you stroll through Central Park. Cool air sending shivers down your spine as you wrap both hands around your PSL, and absorb its warmth. Around you, you see girls in cozy sweaters, guys in outerwear vests, and plaid covers everything everywhere else.

Fall is finally here.

And while that means a Bath and Body Works fall candle stock-up is in order, there’s one other thing on your mind… Halloween.

What should you dress up as this year? We won’t tell you what to wear because the best part about choosing a costume is the imagination you put into it. But, whether they’re insensitive or just too overdone, there are a few costumes you should probably shy away from. Here’s a list of six costumes to avoid this Halloween.

1. The so-called “sexy costumes”

This is by no means a cry to be conservative this Halloween. If you’re feeling yourself, there’s no reason not to do you! But we’ve seen way too many sexy nurses, sexy school girls, and sexy angels in our lifetime. Those costumes are far from original. We bet there will be at least three sexy maids at your Halloween party this year, strutting around with their tiny aprons and feather dusters. Be creative! Imply sexy. Trust us, you’ll be the star of the night.

2. Clowns

Whether you hate them or feel indifferent, clowns are bound to be at every Halloween party (especially this year). From funny clown to scary clown to, yes, even sexy clown, the variations are endless. But this year, it might be best to avoid that rainbow wig and red nose. With clowns popping up around schools and roaming around suburban towns, a lot of people have become extremely uncomfortable with them. They’re associated with fear, and not the harmless Halloween kind. So be considerate of others and pass on the clown costume. It’ll save you from what could end up being one crazy night.

3. Harambe

Believe it or not, Harambe is one of the most popular costumes for 2016. And we get it. The memes, the songs, the pop-culture references; the joke is funny. Scratch that. The joke was funny. Let’s not forget the conditions under which we were introduced to Harambe. A four-year-old boy fell into Harambe’s enclosure. The situation as a whole was charged with fear, anxiety, and an immediate call for action. It’s debatable whether you believe that the death of the seventeen-year-old silverback gorilla was justifiable or not, but the internet joke has gone on long enough. It’s disrespectful to the little boy’s family, to the zoo officials, and to Harambe. If dressing up as a deceased animal is your thing, then we don’t want to steer you away, but maybe it’s time to let Harambe finally Rest In Peace.

4. Snapchat

It’s almost impossible to find someone who hasn’t posted a pic using the flower crown filter. Between it, the dog ears, and all of the other filters, one can see why. They’re hilarious and so much fun! Snapchat filters may be beautiful, but tutorials on the baby-deer and bumble-bee filters have already gone viral. Translation? They’ll be everywhere. So yes, rainbow vomit sounds original on paper, but our suggestion is to pass. You’ll only be one of several.

5. Anything from Pop-culture

Here’s another category that you’ll probably see a lot of. When it comes to popular culture, 2016 was a great year. It gave us movies like Finding DoryGhostbusters, and Suicide Squad. New seasons of some of our favorite shows were released, like Orange is the New Black and Game of Thrones. And of course, probably the best part of 2016, was obsessing over catching ‘em all before anyone else did (Team Instinct FTW!). While these avenues are full of costume potential, you run the chance of being just another Pokémon trainer. Our suggestion is to think outside the box. Again, half the Halloween fun is coming up with a creative costume idea! Don’t settle for being one of five Harley Quinn’s. Unless, that is, you have plans to recreate your own suicide squad. In that case, #goals.

6. The presidental candidates

2016 has been one heck of a year, and the presidential election is the absolute cherry on top. From scandals and slander, to debates that reminded us a little too much of bad rap battles, Donald Trump and Hilary Clinton have really pushed the limits. That’s why this Halloween we expect to see a few Trumps and HRCs around town. But here’s why a “power-red” pant suit or orange make-up and a Troll-doll wig might not be a smart move: it might instigate severe conflict. 

Taking Trump’s recent comments about women into consideration, along with Clinton’s lack of trustworthiness, it’s highly possible that members of opposing parties will be offended, and threatened by your costume selection and interpretation. What you might have considered a joke, might be perceived as alliance to sexism or support of anti-nationalistic values. Who wants their Halloween night to turn into a political showdown of elephants versus donkeys? Chances are, no one.

Rama Majzoub

New School

Rama is Editor in Chief and Campus Correspondent at The New School. She is on track to graduate with a master's in psychology in spring of 2018.
If you're interested HCTNS, please e-mail us at hc.newschool@hercampus.com