This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at New School chapter.

A chill rolls off of the Hudson and into Greenwich Village, and before you know it, mid-term season will end and professors will expect you to already have your final projects outlined and researched. You begin a to-do list in your head, but the tasks sound quite boring: get tested to access campus; meet with advisor to discuss course registration; post lecture reaction to Canvas… The list goes on like this until you realize you haven’t had a cozy pick-me-up from your favorite coffee shop to welcome sweater weather. You stroll to the nearest Starbucks to pick up a warm PSL—or a Pumpkin Cream Cold Brew if you’re that type of person. You think to yourself, “How is the end of October already near?”

There’s no need to fret in times like these. We—Claudia and Alina—have got your fall festivities covered. Whether you’re in search of a suburban weekend getaway or want to cast some spells, look no further than our recs below!

Head to the Suburbs

If you’ve never experienced a suburban autumn, then you must take a train up north or out east to peep at foliage or go apple picking. Believe it or not, there are so many farms in New York and New Jersey that are accessible from the Big Apple. Get a group together and head to one of these orchards to soak up the fall fun! Plus, the view from the train is quite beautiful too.

Get your spook on

Are you the person who puts pumpkins out before October 1? Then you defnitley should be getting your spook on this season. For a fun night out on the town, head to Beetle House in the East Village, a bar inspired by Tim Burton’s films with a menu of spooktacular drinks. If real ghosts are more up your alley, take a haunted history tour of Brooklyn on a decked out Victorian trolley with Madame Morbid. Tickets sell out quickly, so hop on it! 

Ever carved a pumpkin or made your own Halloween Potion?

The Cauldron Co. is a technology and entertainment studio creating immersive experiences. This time around they are bringing you the spirit of Halloween! You can create your own magical potion and cast a spell on it or carve a jack-o-lantern! Check out their website for more information, ticket prices and availability.

Fancy a spooky concert? 

Fever’s Candlelight Halloween is back with its classical compositions performed by The High Line String Quartet. Bring to you live modern Halloween pieces from Stranger Things theme song to Michael Jackson and bringing back the classics from Frédéric Chopin to Franz Schubert. Get immersed in the architecture of the Church of the Heavenly Rest and the intimate ambiance of illuminated candlelights. 

Ever seen Lanterns? 

The Hudson Valley hosts The Great Jack O’Lantern Blaze, with over 7,000 lanterns hand-crafted by various artisans. There’s music, it’s by the water and is complete with a synchronized light show—all beneath the New York City skyline!

Fall is such a lovely time in New York. It’s filled with fun activities and food, celebrating Halloween and Thanksgiving or just cozying into the colder weather. Before the ice skating rinks open for the winter season, be sure to check out the Greenwich Village Halloween Parade this weekend. Farmers bring their pumpkin and cinnamon spice goodies to markets a cross the city, and celebrating this season is surely the best excuse to eat all the sweets you want in your spookiest costume. Be sure to add a few fun fall activities to your to-do list before the semester is through!

Alina Ali Rawji

New School '22

Alina is studying Strategic Design and Management at Parsons, she loves to travel, keeping up with the news, and anything fashion. Where there's music you'll find her dancing and smiling (almost always).
Claudia Langella is a Literary Studies major at Lang and is the Chapter Leader of HCTNS. When she's not writing, it's likely you'll find her in the kitchen or taking long walks in the city.