5 Things to Do in NYC Now That Spring Has Sprung

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at New School chapter.

[Image by FoodiesFeed] [Feature Image by Pexels]

Smorgasburg

Going to Smorgasburg is like entering the foodie utopia that you fanaticize about while choking down the fourth Hot Pocket you’ve eaten this week. On Saturdays in Williamburg and Sundays in Prospect Park, 100 local venders gather to create the largest weekly, open-air, food market in America. Smorgasburg starts in April and runs until October, giving you about 24 weekends to try over 100 different foods. As a New Yorker, it is basically your civic duty to take on this challenge.

[Image by thehighline.org]

The High Line

The High Line is the perfect way to get out of hibernation and soak up the city sun.  It is a 1.45-mile-long railroad that was converted into a walk through park open to the public in 2009. After spending months on end taking shelter from the cold in your apartment and refraining from getting off your couch, a trip to the High Line is exactly the spring cleanse you need before the heat of the summer takes over.

[Image by bbg.org]

Brooklyn Botanic Garden

Nothing screams spring like blooming cherry blossoms, tulips, and daffodils. For just $8.00 with a student ID, you can escape the urban city and immerse yourself in nature. The few planted flowers and blooming trees scattered throughout the city are hinting at you to go see the real deal at the Brooklyn Botanic Garden.

[Image by Pexels]

Walk More

Despite the vastness of the city, New Yorkers often find themselves living quite habitually. Taking the same subways every day, crossing the same avenues, and stopping at the same coffee shops for the same overpriced chocolate croissants are just a few examples of how we get stuck in the cycle of sameness in a city that has so much to offer. Right now, the weather is warm enough that you aren’t forced to wear your Michelin Man parka, but cool enough to where you don’t feel like you’re stuck in a perpetual hot yoga class. Use this time to save up on Metro card swipes and walk. Not only will you be getting in some easy exercise, but you’ll most likely discover a new side of the city that you normally neglect. Not to mention, this time of year, there are street fairs going on left and right so stay above ground or you might miss them!

[Image by Pexels]

Go Boating in Central Park

The spring breeze is essential to this one. Being drenched in sweat isn’t a good look so take advantage of the perfect spring weather while you still can and rent a rowboat of gondola with a few friends. Prices range from $15.00 to $30.00 an hour and the boats can hold up to six people. Choose your boat mates wisely because we all know soaking up the sun is the only contribution you plan on making. Rowing sounds fun but so does floating there idly while eating snacks. 

[Feature Image by Pexels]

Morgan Lopez

New School

Morgan Lopez is a freshman studying Journalism and Design at Eugene Lang College of Liberal Arts at The New School in New York City. She enjoys dancing, yoga, and binge watching television shows.
If you're interested HCTNS, please e-mail us at hc.newschool@hercampus.com