This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at New Paltz chapter.

When I was younger, I was ashamed of my heritage. I would tell people I was from “uptown” instead of telling them I was from the Bronx. I ignored Spanish music and I hated Spanish food. I was afraid of being stereotyped by society. As a Latina, we are view as ghetto, exotic or unintelligent.

However, in college, I learned to love being a Latina. I appreciate my curves, my grandmother’s home cooked meals and the music that makes me dance around my house. I don’t care about society’s views on the Latino community. I’m going to be who I want to be. I’m not the problem. They are. These are some of things that college taught me:

Speak Up About Jokes That Are Bothering You

I found that there’s a fine line between jokes and insults to one’s culture. For me, I love to joke around. However, when you begin to joke about something that’s been brought about society to laugh about, it’s not okay. I had countless of jokes about my hair, about where I come from and the misperceptions of the Latino community that I found insulting. I love my curly hair. I do not appreciate you making fun of how it looks because for a long time I despised it. When it comes to where I come from, I will proudly tell people that I was born and raised in the Bronx. I remember studying abroad and how surprised they were that I was safe in my own neighborhood. NEWS FLASH, I don’t walk around with a bullet proof vest on, afraid of gang members showing up and robbing me. Never settle for jokes that bother you. If you continue to think it’s okay for friends to make front of your culture then they will continue to make front of your culture. Speak up about your feelings and let them know that it’s bothering you.

Don’t Settle In Being The Token Latina Friend

I was surprised to know that for many I am their first Spanish friend. However, that doesn’t mean I represent all Spanish countries. That doesn’t mean that I watch every telenovela or know every Latino celebrity. The two things I hate the most is “Well, I have a Spanish friend, so it’s okay to say this…” or “That girl is ghetto, but you’re not like them, so…” No. You’re not going to get away with making a remark just because I’m your first and only Latina friend. I should be view as your friend no matter what nationality or ethnicity is. I’m not “acting white” or “acting Latina” that day. That’s not a thing.

Embrace The Culture, Don’t Hide From It

I mentioned in the beginning that I tried my best to distance myself from my culture. With being in college and studying abroad, I learn to love my culture. I spend more times in the streets of Castle Hill eating mofongo con arroz y habichuelas. I try to learn and spend more time with my grandparents than stay at home doing nothing. I want to attend concerts with my mother and try to decipher what they’re saying. I want to be proud to be Puerto Rican and I want to be proud to be in a culture that celebrates love, family, beauty and so much more. I took Intro to Latin American Culture that changed my life. I want to continue to embrace and learn about the country my grandparents grew up in.

There Are Great Outlets Out There

When I was growing, I didn’t find Latinas/Latinos that I looked up to. I found myself not seeing people that looked like me. But, finally I found outlets in magazines, blogs and people that look like me. I saw magazines like Cosmopolitan for Latina and Latina Magazine embrace Latinas like me. I read issues and opinions of Latino writers on Huffington Post Latino Voices. But, what made me inspired and happy is that I was beginning to develop a list of Puerto Ricans that I admire. I saw people like Denise Bidot, Gina Rodriguez and Lin-Manuel Miranda display their wisdom and talent to the world. Gina Rodriguez especially made an impact on my life. Jane The Virgin related to me on such a personal level. I beginning to find outlets to learn, grow and create from.

These four years have been a journey of self-discovery. I look back at the little girl who just wanted to be accepted. Now, the only thing I care about is accepting myself first. I am a proud Latina woman. I love being the Puerto Rican girl from the Bronx that will be the first person in her family to graduate. Remember, don’t hide yourself for anyone. Don’t fall into what society wants you to be and don’t let society dictate how you should live your life. I can say that SUNY New Paltz taught me that.

Photo credit: Tumblr

Chelsea is a fourth-year journalism major with a minor in creative writing. She is currently a contributing writer on the Her Campus New Paltz chapter. She's also on the social media team to keep readers updated on stories created by the SUNY New Paltz Aside from Her Campus, she's a blogger for CollegeFashionista. Chelsea is hoping to continue to be more involved on SUNY New Paltz despite being a commuter from New York City. Other than writing, she loves to read, travel, pop culture, fashion and social media! Follow her on instagram @thesocialrundown!