The Top 14 Luxuries of Being a New Paltz Student

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at New Paltz chapter.

SUNY New Paltz is a remotely small liberal arts college unbeknownst to people outside of New York.. However, for us, New Paltz is the best decision we have ever made. Some of the top reasons include:

1. Short Commute To Class

Unlike many other colleges who have a 15-plus minute walk to class, we have the ability of extending our glorious naps because it takes us literally five minutes to get to class . Unless, if you’re walking from Esopus or Lenape Hall, then I suggest speed-walking.

2. Breathtaking Views

With the mountains in the distance, we have some of the most beautiful sunrises and sunsets that you will ever see. Don’t even get me started on the twinkling night sky!

3. Minnewaska State Park

This preserve is a short 20-minute drive away from campus and it is filled with many activities to do with your friends.  It’s one of the best places to either catch some peace, sitting in the wilderness, or get your adrenaline pumping, by going cliff jumping.

4. New York City

Looking to get away from our small town? Luckily, the city that never sleeps is less than a two-hour drive. With so many concerts and activities in NYC, we are fortunate enough to have the ability to leave school whenever we want and explore.

5. Easy Rides Home

It’s the best feeling when you can travel home whenever you want, without having to worry about a long drive. This, as we know, is not the case for some of our friends  , who have a six hour drive home (cough, cough Oswego).

6. Local Visitors

We enjoy getting visits from deer and hawks on campus. Oh, and how could I forget the occasional bear!

7. The Night Life

We are fortunate enough to have our bars just outside of campus. Unlike others who rely on cabs or the bus to get outside of their campus, we can easily and drunkenly walk back and forth.

8. Pizza

Although many of us blame 4 a.m. pizza for contributing to our freshman 15, none of us complain when we get that fresh pie out from the oven.  With two pizzerias on the same block, we are practically guaranteed slices.

9.The Athletic & Wellness Center

We have an amazingly modern air-conditioned gymnasium that makes other gyms look basic. The 57,000 square-foot  structure offers many intramural competitions that will leave you coming back with hopes for more championship shirts.  

10. National Rankings

New Paltz has been listed by the U.S. News & World Report as No. 4 among public regional unviersities in the North offering both bachelor and master degree programs in their latest 2016 Best College rankings list.

11. Movies

The local movie theater in town understands our needs. As college students we are on a tight budget (a.k.a. depending on our parents to give us money).  Having to pay only $6 for a movie ticket is definitely a luxury!

12.Wing Nights

Oh, the amount of wings one can get on wing nights. Yes, nights! The restaurants in town host various wing nights making it seem like every night is a wing night.

13. Wake up, Not Flawless

One of the greatest things about New Paltz is that no one really cares what you wear to class because we have seen it all from zombies to explosions of tie dye. Nothing surprises us! So, if you want to go to class in your pajamas, no one is stopping you! Instead, you can  save that cute outfit for a night out.

14. Dorm Room Upgrades

For the past couple of years, New Paltz has seen renovations throughout residence halls. Recently, Ridgeview Hall was built. This dorm has one of the best views of the mountains on campus! Did I mention there is also a café inside?

With all these luxuries, how about we work on parking next!

As a third-year student and Campus Correspondent at SUNY New Paltz, Dayana manages a team of writers to successfully show the writing abilities of students at New Paltz. She is currently majoring in Communications with a concentration in Public Relations and minoring in Sociology. When she isn't in class or working, you can find her glued to her camera and/or kindle, hiking on Minnewaska State Park, cheering on the Hawks or figuring out what to wear on a night out. You can follow her on Instagram @dayana_alv.