New Paltz Tennis Star, Olivia Ammirati

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at New Paltz chapter.

Name: Olivia Ammirati 

Year: 2017, Junior 

Major: Graphic Design  

Sign: Aquarius 

Hometown: Huntington N.Y. 

Relationship Status: Single

HC: Why did you pick your major?

Olivia: My whole family is in the art and design world. I grew up with it and I realized that it was something that I wanted to pursue.

HC: I understand you’re a part of the tennis team here. Why did you choose to play at SUNY New Paltz?

O: I was looking at a DI and DII schools but I didn’t know a lot about the DIII schools. I kind of road off New Paltz as I’m not coming but when I came to visit, the coach and all the girls on the team made me feel so welcome and a part of the team. That sold me!

HC: Congratulations on your achievement as Co-Peter Cahill MVP. How do you feel being recognized for your talent?

O: I was so excited that my hard work paid off. It felt great to be recognized by all the coaches in the SUNY system. In order to win the award, all of the coaches in the SUNY division vote, so it felt pretty special. Plus, at the end of the day, it’s not just about tennis it’s also about sportsmanship; so being a good sport paid off.

HC: Time for the fun part. What three characteristics do you look for in a guy?

O: Loyalty, someone funny and someone with a big heart.

HC: What is your best New Paltz memory so far?

O: Last year at our alumni tennis tournament when all of our friends and family came and everyone played doubles against each other. It was really fun playing with my dad and my brother and all of the girls on the team.

HC: If you could be any cheetah girl who would you be?

O: Adrienne Bailon, no doubt.

HC: What are you guilty pleasures?

O: Cheese Doodles. Toast. Gossip Girl. Oh, Seltzer!

HC: Any pre-game rituals?

O: Having all of our friends come over and sit around the table drinking with some music in the background.

Lightening Round

Celebrity Crush: Jay Baruchel

Favorite Food: Tuna Fish

Favorite Movie: Clueless

Favorite Dance Song: The new Ellie Goulding Song. * asks her friend for it,“Sasha, whats that called?” * Oh, its “On my mind.”

Spirit Animal: I would say a cat. But, I’ll say a panther instead.

Favorite Animal: Cat.

As a third-year student and Campus Correspondent at SUNY New Paltz, Dayana manages a team of writers to successfully show the writing abilities of students at New Paltz. She is currently majoring in Communications with a concentration in Public Relations and minoring in Sociology. When she isn't in class or working, you can find her glued to her camera and/or kindle, hiking on Minnewaska State Park, cheering on the Hawks or figuring out what to wear on a night out. You can follow her on Instagram @dayana_alv.