Interview with member of Kappa Delta Phi N.A.S. and Students for Inclusion: Nicole Guastella

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at New Paltz chapter.

This week I had the pleasure of sitting down with Nicole Guastella, a member of Kappa Delta Phi National Affiliated Sorority and a member of Students for Inclusion. We talked about her time here so far at New Paltz and got to know one another better.

Q: Why did you chose SUNY New Paltz?

A: SUNY New Paltz was the first college I toured. I fell in love with the atmosphere but the thing that drew me to it was the town area. I come from a small town where everything is accessible by walking and I wanted to go to a school that reminded me of that. I loved the town and I knew it was the place for me because of it.

Q: What is your major?

A: I am an English major! Q: Why did you choose your major?

A: After doing some soul searching I realized I did not want to be a teacher anymore, which was my original major here. After going through a few concentrations I decided that I really liked the English curriculum and wanted to pursue it further. I love to read so my homework doesn’t even feel like homework which is pretty cool. I am happy with my decision to switch my major.

Q: What is your dream job?

A: I know it’s not technically a profession, but my dream job would be a mother. I want to be a mom one day and while I don’t know yet if I would be a stay-at-home mom I know that it is something for me to think about. I know from watching my own mom and other mothers around me that it is no easy feat so I cannot wait for the challenge of having kids!

Q: Why did you choose Kappa Delta Phi N.A.S?

A: I chose Kappa Delta Phi N.A.S. because everyone was so incredibly genuine. I loved how what I saw was what I knew I was going to get. The girls were funny and welcoming when I first met them and the girls that are in the org now are still the same way. They made me feel comfortable and like it was okay to be myself.

Q: What is your favorite thing about Greek Life?

A: My favorite thing about Greek Life is the connections I now have. My social circle has expanded because of joining a greek org. I have so many people in my life that if I was in trouble, they would help me and they all happen to be people I met through my sorority. Q: What is Students for Inclusion? And how did you get involved with it?

A: Students For Inclusion, formerly known as Autism Speaks, is the club I am involved in. When it was called Autism Speaks I met the past president at the club fair and her energy is what drew me to the club. After being a regular club member I was asked to join the executive board and I have been on it ever since. It’s a club where we learn about disabilities, volunteer with and for people with disabilities, and make various crafts like sensory toys and pec systems.

Q: What is your favorite place to go in town?

A: My favorite spot in town is Taco Shack. My friends and I discovered it our freshman year and it has been a staple of my college life since.

Q: What is your favorite spot on campus?

A: My favorite spot on campus is probably the library. It is an environment of productivity and it relaxes me. The books are comforting. Q: Do you have any advice for people who are new to our campus?

A: My advice to newer people is to keep an open mind. Try everything once, you won’t regret it.

As you can see Nicole is highly involved in many leadership positions on campus. She is a friendly face as well. Feel free to say hello if you see her around campus!

A sociology major with a love for all things Disney. Kayleigh Monahan is an avid reader and writer and can often be found at her local Starbucks. She is the current President of Kappa Delta Phi National Affiliated Sorority at New Paltz as well as the Campus Correspondent for HC SUNY New Paltz.