I’m Broke: $10 or Less Guide to New Paltz

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at New Paltz chapter.

As college students we constantly look for the next cool thing to do or new place to eat without breaking the bank. Thankfully, New Paltz provides us with many affordable options for entertainment. You just have to know the right places to look!

Here is the ultimate guide to enjoy your time at New Paltz for $10 dollars or less.

1. Asian Fusion

If you have a student I.D., love sushi and sesame chicken then this is your dream restaurant. Not only can you get a $7 dollar lunch special with any select entrée, soup, and rice, but you can also order from the Asian Fusion student menu. The student menu contains a variety of appetizers for $2.99 and sushi rolls ranging from $2.99 –$5.99. Plus, if you like happy hour as much as any other college student, you can enjoy their drink specials and half off appetizer deals from 6PM-9PM!

2.  Kosiner Brothers Fry Shack

After a long Friday night out at you favorite bar, all you want Saturday morning is to cure that one of a kind New Paltz hangover. The Kosiner Brothers, famous for their gourmet hot dog stand, recently opened the Fry Shack on Water Street. Fresh cut fries start at $3.50 and there are 21 different sauces and 10 different toppings to choose from! 

3. Main Street Bistro

No matter how broke you are, everyone can afford the Main Street Bistro breakfast special. For an unheard of $1.95 you can fill up on two eggs, home fries, and toast.  It doesn’t get any eggstra delicious then that!

4. Rock Yoga

If you ever wanted to try a Hot Yoga, you should definitely make a trip to Rock Yoga where students can walk-in to class for only $10! Choose from a variety of Yoga classes including: Happy Hot Hour, Liquid, HOT POWER 50, and Warm Power Vinyasa. Be sure to hydrate before you go! 

5. Minnewaska State Park

The iconic Minnewaska State Park is located a short 20 min drive from the center of town and only $8 dollars per car to visit. Spend the day hiking around Minnewaska Lake, taking pictures by the waterfall, and enjoying the breathtaking overlooks with a packed car of family or friends. 

6. The Gilded Otter

Happy hour at The Gilded Otter runs Monday-Thursday from 4PM to 6PM and on Friday it’s extended to 7pm! The limited appetizers are only $5.00 and you can grab a pint of beer for only $4.50 (if you’re 21 of course). 

7. New Paltz Cinema

The greatest gem for any movie buff in New Paltz is the Cinema. The New Paltz Cinema shows the most recently released films for a matinee price of $5 dollars!

8.  Stewarts Ice Cream

A great way to take a break from studying is a late night ice cream run with your best friends! Stewarts offers over 30 different flavors of ice cream, along with sundae and ice cream drink specials and single cones starting at $1.99!         

9. Hard Roll

If you are looking for an authentic deli experience, you should check out Hard Roll Deli. A short drive past Lowes this deli offers a variety of hot and cold sandwiches and heroes. Breakfast sandwiches are $3, bagels with cream cheese are $1.85, and all sandwich specials range from $5-$8!

10. Hudson Coffee Traders

One of the most overlooked places to grab breakfast happens to be right at Trailways bus station! The café serves delicious breakfast sandwiches with avocado and pesto options, breakfast wraps, and a paleo breakfast cup for under the price of $10!

11. Robibero Family Vineyard

Just on the outskirts of New Paltz there is a magical place that will make all of your wine dreams come true. The Robibero Family Vineyard offers a $10 wine tastings for any five wine selections of your choice. 

12. Oasis Happy Hour

Easily the best happy hour special in New Paltz. Get two mixed drinks for $4.50 and a food ticket to select your choice of a hot dog, hamburger, or cheeseburger straight off the grill. How could you resist that? 

13. Joe’s East West

Although this bar is the farthest from campus, it offers a different night life scene. The bar is 18+ and country night is every Friday starting at 8PM. Don’t miss out on a mechanical bull, line dancing, and $2 domestic beer specials until 10PM!

Also for all of your New Paltz food needs be sure to visit:

New Paltz Menus

Natalie is a senior at SUNY New Paltz with a major in Organizational Communications and a Business minor. She enjoys traveling,Thai food, and making her friends laugh with ridiculous impressions of Dobby the house elf. You can follow her on Instagram @Nataliasaunders.