Goldie The Goal Getter

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at New Paltz chapter.

Name: Goldie Harrison Hometown: Elmont, New York Year: 2016 Major: Business Marketing & Digital Media Production

Rumor has it you are one of the busiest people on campus. What are all the activities you are involved with on campus? “I am pretty busy! Currently, I’m the captain of the Women’s Basketball Team, Student Activities Manager, Vice President of Programming for the Student Association, Production for WNPC-TV, our campus TV Station, and an ABC Television Network Programming/Production Intern.”

How do manage to do all of this work and still have a social life?“Time management, to be honest. I use my 24 hours wisely. Being so actively involved in campus, I’ve met lots of people, so the social life aspect is somewhat intertwined with everything I do.  Also, what’s great about it is everything that I am involved in, I am extremely passionate about, so nothing really feels like work to me. I’m just doing what I love.”

What advice would you give to students looking to get more involved and succeed? “I would tell them to NEVER be afraid or think they are not qualified to do anything on this campus. Reach out to other students, clubs, and administration. A conversation can take you a long way. You never really know what you are capable of until you challenge yourself. Step outside of your comfort zone and try new things!”

I understand that you have interned with ABC Television Network, what has been the most rewarding experience you have had there?“I’m still interning there now and it’s been a blast so far! My position allows me to get a taste of every department. One day, I’ll be assisting on a road shoot, the next I’ll be in the control room for the Eyewitness News or on set of Live! with Michael and Kelly. Just being in the atmosphere and getting a taste of what it’s like to work in the industry has been beyond rewarding. I’ve learned so much that I never had any idea about, so much that I would never learn in a classroom.”

What is one thing that you have not checked off of your New Paltz bucket list?“I’ve done so much here looking back it. I think I’ve checked everything off. I mean, I would love to go skydiving and zip lining up here, even though it’s not actually in New Paltz, but it’s pretty close.”

What are you looking forward to after graduating from SUNY New Paltz? “I’m looking forward to traveling and creating after I graduate. I studied abroad this past summer and I really fell in love with traveling. Besides that, I’m considering graduate school. However, nothing is ever set in stone. I like to roll with the wind sometimes. Who knows what may happen a few months from now?”

Now that you’re a senior, what advice do you wish you could tell your freshman self?“I would have told my freshmen self to follow your passion from the start. I came in as a management major only because I thought it was “safe,” although my passion was media and filmmaking. I changed my major sophomore year — this would have saved me some wasted time in classes that I didn’t have to take. Besides that, I really like the pace of my experience here. I’ve learned so much; this school has really changed my life in and outside of the classroom.”

As a third-year student and Campus Correspondent at SUNY New Paltz, Dayana manages a team of writers to successfully show the writing abilities of students at New Paltz. She is currently majoring in Communications with a concentration in Public Relations and minoring in Sociology. When she isn't in class or working, you can find her glued to her camera and/or kindle, hiking on Minnewaska State Park, cheering on the Hawks or figuring out what to wear on a night out. You can follow her on Instagram @dayana_alv.