Campus Celebrity & Professor: Julie Taylor

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at New Paltz chapter.

Name: Julie TaylorPosition: Assistant Professor Department: Communication Degree: PhD, University of Utah, 2014 MA, Colorado State University, 2010 BA, Colorado State University, 2008

H.C. How did you become interested in your field of study?

J.T. I actually decided that I wanted to be an interior design major my first year of college. Everyone told me I was going to be a teacher and I highly resisted that because I did not want people telling me what I was going to do. I realized that I only like to design for myself and not for others. I took a class in Pop Culture, and I said if this is what communication classes are like then this is what I want to do for the rest of my life.

H.C. Have you ever had any other jobs besides teaching at a college? If so, what were they?

J.T. I taught high school for a semester when I was student teaching, coached soccer, a bartender, a restaurant manager, valet at a golf course, and I was a nanny. Being a nanny was one of my favorite things, because there is a level of innocence that comes with children that reminds you that the world doesn’t revolve around me or academia, but rather the world revolves around the growth and doing good work for the future.

H.C. Why did you choose to teach at New Paltz?

J.T. I was drawn to this campus because when I came here I just loved the students. I loved the interaction that I got. I loved the feeling of collaboration and that is something that’s really important to me, in not only my research, but my everyday is collaborating and working with people and that’s something that is valued here in New Paltz.

H.C. What is your favorite course to teach & why?

J.T. Content wise my favorite class is Communications and Gender and that is because it’s something near and dear to my heart. That is a class where people have so many realizations of “oh my goodness I didn’t realize gender was organized”. Also, one of my favorite courses is Organizational Communication, because that is the class that made me want to get a PHD so that is my home base as to why I love communication.

H.C. What is the most rewarding feeling about being a professor?

J.T. The student interactions. I am constantly telling people that the students are amazing. It is so rewarding to watch people interested in doing good work and learning not just for the class content, but rather how are we applying this.

H.C. What do you know now that you wished you knew when you were my age?

J.T. It’s all going to be okay. I wish that I stressed less and I wished that I enjoyed life a little bit more. I would say stop and enjoy the moments because I think it’s so easy to think about what I need to do tomorrow, and you’re not really living for today. Be in the now, even if it is just for ten minutes a day, just be in today.

Want to know more about Julie Taylor outside the classroom?

H.C. What’s your favorite food?

J.T. I wouldn’t say that I have a favorite food, but I would say that I love to cook. To me food is love and food is sharing and I believe in sharing food with people I care about.

H.C. What’s your favorite hobby?

J.T. I love running. I started running ever since I got to New York and I really enjoy it. When I go back to Colorado, I love to ride my horse. I’ve been riding my horse since I was 5 years old and I used to ride everyday, so I miss that.

H.C. What’s your favorite TV Show?

J.T. Oh my gosh, well I love reality tv, but I am kind of fazing out and I really like How To Get Away with Murder and Scandal. As long as it’s Shonda or Reality TV! I’ve also, recently started watching Quantico.

H.C. What’s your Favorite Movie?

J.T. 8 seconds, and it’s a true story about a bull-rider who actually lost his life bull-riding and no matter how many times I watch it, it will bring me to tears. I think it is because there is a connection to the country side of my life. I also love Pitch Perfect!

H.C. If you were stranded on a desert island, what three things would you bring with you?

J.T. Water, music, and my partner. There is no other person who makes me feel as grounded and secure. I could only imagine my personality on an island saying ‘there’s no to-do list’  so we could climb coconut trees together, go fishing, and listen to music.

Why do New Paltz students love Julie Taylor?

Student 1: This is my first semester having Professor Taylor, and she has easily become my favorite professor. She is so passionate about what she does, and has this relatable aspect to her teaching that makes you want to listen and learn.

Student 2: Julie’s class is so much fun, I actually learn how to apply concepts to my everyday life. I appreciate her enthusiasm and believe that she is truly loves what she does.

Student 3: Julie is by far the best teacher I have had during my time at New Paltz. I will take everything she has taught me and use it in the real world.

Student 4: She has made such a huge impact in so many students lives by being so committed, helpful, and full with knowledge.

Sara is a third-year student at SUNY New Paltz, where she is majoring in Public Relations and General Business. She absolutely loves being able to spend time with family, friends, boyfriend, and dog. In addition, she loves fashion, keeping up to date on celebrity news, makeup, shopping, and watching Disney movies and Nicholas Sparks Films. Her future goals include either working for a fashion magazine in the city or opening her own event planning business. Follow her Instagram @sararay23