7 Ways You’re Guaranteed to Ruin Christmas Dinner

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at New Paltz chapter.

Tensions are high when Christmas dinner is cooking! Let us count down the faux pas you’re going to want to avoid.

7.  Spilling

So the Mike’s Hard Lemonade you snuck to your sister spilled all over the embroidered table cloth your mom takes out once a year. It’s fine though, really. At least you all have your health, right?

6. Showing Up Late

Just don’t. There is nothing* worse on the planet than walking into a room you were supposed to be in 30 minutes earlier.

*Note: of course there are worse things than showing up late…like the turkey that’s all dried out because your family waited for you to eat. Be on time!!

5. Disregarding a Food Allergy

You and I both know cousin Peter isn’t really allergic to gluten, but for the sake of Christmas cheer, have some allergy-friendly dishes on your table this holiday season.

4. Giving Bad News

Sure, you’re upset you lost your job. Your family will be upset for you and give you the sympathy you’re looking for…when you tell them after dinner is over. It’s hard to talk about your favorite Christmas carol after a bomb like that is dropped.

3. Bringing the Guest No One Wants There

You know your mom and Aunt Sue are fighting, so don’t think you’re cultivating some grand scheme a la The Parent Trap in an attempt to reunite them. Their fight will be resolved within a week, but memories of a broken Christmas dinner are forever.

2. Not Showing Up

Nothing screams “ungrateful” like being MIA when someone has taken you into account when preparing a meal. Give your host a heads up if you’re going to be a no-show.

1. Telling Children Santa Isn’t Real

I mean, personally, I wish I could’ve skipped that milestone and kept right on believing. Don’t ruin the magic for the young and innocent with your jaded Scrooge-ness.

Avoid these faux pas and you’re golden! Merry Christmas everyone.

Bridget Smith is currently a senior at SUNY New Paltz studying English and Creative Writing. When she isn't brainstorming article ideas for Her Campus, you can find her editing pieces for The Odyssey at SUNY New Paltz or blogging on the world of fashion for CollegeFashionista. Bridget hopes to one day work within the publishing field. She is a lover of rainy days, sunshine, and irony. Connect with Bridget on Instagram: @bridgetsm1th