5 Ways to Improve Your Confidence This Semester

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at New Paltz chapter.

As the semester goes on, it can be hard at times to find your inner confidence–and that’s okay. Just know that there are always things you can do to feel better, even if it’s just one small activity. This semester make sure you remember that you are unstoppable, and that each day brings new opportunities to shine!

1) Start each day with a positive affirmation 

Starting each day with short, positive statements can help you focus on your goals and your studies and can get your day started on a good note! When you wake up, tell yourself (or think, because of sleeping roommates): “Today will be a good day.” Keep that positive energy flowing and it can even help improve your grades!

2) Go to a Zumba class 

New Paltz offers a variety of free group exercise classes that are taught by students. A high-energy class like Zumba can get your endorphins pumping, and eventually knowing all the steps can be a confidence booster in itself! 

3) Give yourself a little gift each day 

Buy yourself that cup of coffee. Let yourself take that 20-minute nap. You want to buy a pint of Ben & Jerry’s from the Sweet Shop? Treat yo’ self. These gifts should never be planned, but instead be spontaneous rewards for being totally awesome. It’s the little things that can help make your day a thousand times better! 

4) Wear clothes that make you feel good  

Wearing clothes that make you feel good, whether they make your butt look fabulous or are just totally comfortable, can help improve confidence. Wearing clothes that make you feel like a million bucks will make your day worth a million bucks. You’re worth it– wear clothes that you feel great in! 

5) Have a dance party. 

Take Meredith Grey’s advice, when life gets tough, dance it out!  If you’re not into group exercise classes, put on your most upbeat Spotify playlist and dance around your room. Give yourself the chance to let loose! Moving around decreases stress and will help you face the day with a confident attitude.

Jahna Romano is an English and Secondary Education major studying at SUNY New Paltz. She is fond of dogs, ice cream, and "Supernatural". When not doing homework, she can usually be found watching "Parks & Recreation" or trying to write the next Great American Novel.