5 Life Lessons We Learned From Mabel Pines

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at New Paltz chapter.

Last week, some friends and I gathered around a laptop screen to watch the final episode of Gravity Falls, a Disney channel series that has ended after two seasons. We didn’t realize just how many tears would ensue.

You may be thinking: why have these college students invested over three years of their lives into a cartoon? The answer’s pretty simple. Gravity Falls was more than your typical animated show with cute animation and silly jokes. It had clever wit and humor. It had mystery and suspense.  Most importantly, it had Mabel Pines, played by the lovely vocal talent Kristen Schaal.  

From the very first episode to the very last, I identified with Mabel more than most fictional characters.  She and her twin brother, Dipper, took me back to when my brother and I were pre-teens and had time to mess around and have fun, free of all responsibility.  While Dipper had the brains, Mabel was quick to follow her heart and live in the moment.  This often led to the solving the biggest of mysteries and saving the day.

As college students, we sometimes take life way too seriously. And rightfully so- we are preparing for our futures, after all. Still, I believe we can all learn a thing or two (or five) from Mabel’s fun-loving nature.

1. ​Random dance parties solve every problem

Having a bad day? Maybe you slept through your 8 a.m. class, or lost your pet pig, Waddles?

Don’t sweat it! Or… do! Get your friends together, turn up the tunes and dance! Getting your body moving will release stress. Plus it gets you out of your comfort zone and brings you closer with your girls.  Mabel’s dance sessions were always a success.

2. Do what makes you happy

Whether it’s making time for your favorite crafting hobby…

…or treating yourself to your favorite snacks…

…keep doing you! Mabel always made time for scrapbooking and knitting. It’s important to keep up with fun activities that spark your imagination and give you an enjoyable break from the stresses of life. 

3.  Be there for your friends

If you are lucky enough to have that one group of friends you love…

… keep ‘em close! We meet some of the greatest people in college. Building up a strong support system and encouraging your fellow peers is what it’s all about.

4. Know how to laugh at yourself

The sooner you embrace all your dorky quirks, the better off you are.  Not taking yourself so seriously and laughing at yourself every now and then makes all the difference in your happiness.

5.  You can never have too many sweaters

If you’re like me, you may complain about having no room in your dorm to fit all your clothes in…   

But sometimes you need lots of options! Plus, have you been outside lately? Buy that extra sweater! Mabel teaches us to keep our closets (and our hearts) open to all life’s possibilities and to stay true to ourselves.  After all, be you is what makes you shine.

Briana is nineteen years old from Long Island, NY. She studies journalism and art at SUNY New Paltz. She loves the beach, writing music reviews, going to concerts, and having chill nights in with her friends & family (usually watching Netflix and eating ice cream). She is an upbeat, friendly introvert and never leaves home (or the dorm) without her pen, notebook & earbuds.