This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at New Paltz chapter.

Thanksgiving is a great holiday, not only do we have time off from school but we get to enjoy yummy food as well! Check out our favorite things about Thanksgiving.

1.    Time Off From School

This goes without saying, we are all stressed and need a break. Midterms have just finished and the stress from studying and cramming has taken a toll on you. Thanksgiving gives us time to recharge and take a break from school for a few days. When we come back, we are refreshed and ready for the impending finals. Take advantage of this break!

2.    Seeing Family And Friends

After being away at school for some time, it is only normal to miss your family. If this is your first time away from home, seeing your family is an even bigger deal. Being surrounded by those who know you best and being able to relax in the familiarity of your home is a beautiful thing.  Even if you are being asked the same questions about school over and over, you still love spending some quality time with family. If you still keep in touch with your high school friends, thanksgiving is the perfect time to reconnect, swap stories about college and reminisce over high school.

3. The Delicious Food

Having a home cooked meal is nothing short of amazing when you have been eating campus food for the past few months!  Even if you like the food as Has, the SUB or Oscars, nothing compares to eating your favorite home cooked meal! You get to enjoy Thanksgiving dinner and leftovers for the remaining days of your break. You can even take some back to school with you too!

4. Having Your Own Room And Bathroom

There is nothing like getting a good night’s rest in your own bed. After sleeping on your dorm bed, it is nice to relax on a comfy mattress. Plus, having your own room is pretty nice too. You may love your roommate, but after a while, you just want your privacy. Sharing a bathroom with at least eight other girls and having to wait for the shower can get tiring. Luckily, you get to enjoy a few days of having your own bathroom in which you are free to shower whenever and for however long you want. Treasure these few days!

Thanksgiving is a great holiday for many reasons, but most importantly, we must remember that Thanksgiving is all about being thankful for what we have.

From everyone on the Her Campus New Paltz team, we wish you a Happy Thanksgiving!

Hayley is a recent graduate of SUNY New Paltz. She hopes to pursue a career in Public Relations in the future. Her hobbies include graphic design,photography,writing and playing the drums.