Survival Guide To Fighting the Not-So-Freshman 15

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at New Haven chapter.

Let’s be real, the “Freshman 15” is a scary reality that can easily go beyond your freshman year. It’s so easy to fall victim to Insomnia Cookies, late night pizza, your campus’s less-than-average dining options-and the comfort of your perfectly decorated dorm room. Don’t feel bad, it happened to the best of us-including myself. That’s why I’ve come up with this survival guide to fighting the not-so-Freshman 15:

1. Let the stairs become your best friendYou’d be surprised by how effective something as simple as this can be. Opting for the stairs can help you get in extra cardio throughout the day. Cardio is huge when it comes to fat-burning. Even if you have 20 pounds’ worth of books in your bag, you should still go for the stairs. The extra weight will increase your heart rate and get your blood pumping. Not to mention, cardio helps boost your metabolism for the entire day. Sweat it out; we aren’t judging you!

2. Say goodbye to added sugars and saucesI hate to be the bearer of bad news but sodas, juices and alcoholic beverages are swimming with added sugars. These are only there for added taste and don’t do your body any good. Instead of putting sugar in your coffee, use Stevia. It’s an all-natural sweetener much less harmful to your body. If drinking plain water bores you to tears, try infusing your water with fruit. Instead of choosing the breakfast/lunch/dinner option with some sort of sauce, opt for the plain version. Season your food using homemade sauces, sea salt and pepper and natural spices. Be the girl who brings her own seasonings to the dining hall, your body is begging you to.

3. If your school has a gym, USE ITThis is probably the only time in your life where you can get away with going to the gym for free (kind of). Even if it isn’t the biggest or nicest gym, you can still use it to your advantage-especially-if it’s on campus. Recruit your friends to join, and have fun! Working out doesn’t have to be serious and boring… if it were, then no one would do it.

4.     Completely cut out processed foodsProcessed foods are filled with chemicals your body does not need. When you’re grocery shopping, make sure you can actually read and understand the ingredient list. If the ingredient list is a paragraph long and you can’t even pronounce half the words on it, chances are you shouldn’t be eating it. When you’re dining on campus, always go for chicken and other meats (minimal sauces), salads (dressing on the side) and anything whole-wheat, eggs, veggies, fruit, etc. If you can grow it or hunt for it, it’s fair game.

5.     Consistently hydrate throughout the dayWater is essential to your survival of the not-so-Freshman-15. I cannot stress enough the importance of drinking water throughout the day. It’ll keep you feeling refreshed and energized. When your body is dehydrated, you’ll begin to feel tired and drained (no pun intended). This is the perfect excuse to buy yourself one of those adorable tumblers with a fun saying on it and carry it with you wherever you go.

There you have it — five easy ways to help fight the poundage during your college experience. Have fun, be healthy, be happy, and don’t forget to drink your water!

Fluent in sarcasm and Taylor Swift lyrics. Believer of chai lattes, unplanned photo shoots, and monogrammed everything.
Hi! My name is Caitlin Duncan. I'm from Enfield, CT, and a senior at University of New Haven. I am the Co-Founder and Campus Correspondent for Her Campus New Haven. I am also a Founding Member of Alpha Sigma Alpha's Theta Omega chapter. In my free time, I can be found singing Taylor Swift, reading, or cuddling with my dogs, Paisley and Mandy. Feel free to contact me at caitduncan@hercampus.com! HCXO!