A Series of Unfortunate Events: EPA Edition

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at New Haven chapter.

You may have heard of the recent troubles the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) is facing under the Trump administration. Not long after the inauguration, Trump started wreaking havoc on the agency. The climate change page on the White House’s website was deleted almost immediately, and soon after, a media blackout was issued for the EPA. The blackout prohibits select usage of the official social media pages and communication with the press. The only messages permitted must be deemed critical, as other messages could be shared and potentially find their way to the press. All new business activities were barred, meaning the EPA cannot award any new contracts or grants—vastly limiting their abilities.

Communications Director Doug Ericksen gave a pitiful excuse for the censorship, saying “We’re trying to get a handle on everything and make sure what goes out reflects the priorities of the new administration.” He essentially said that the EPA will not be allowed to communicate freely until they support the administration’s false views on scientific facts.

Badlands National Park was not about to let Trump stop them, and they continued tweeting facts about global warming that went viral shortly before they were taken down. This inspired the creation of many resistance twitters, such as @NotAltWorld, @altnps, @BadlandsNPSFans, @ungaggedEPA, @RogueNASA, and it also lead to the creation of a Scientists March on Washington that will be on Earth Day, which is Saturday, April 22nd!

A new chapter in this dismal saga unfolded Super Bowl Sunday, when Republican Congressman Matt Gaetz presented a bill to eliminate the EPA entirely. The bill is co-sponsored by three other Republican congress members, and the information on the actual bill is not available yet, making it hard to say what the bill could contain. But, it’s fair to conclude that the details will be appalling.

The EPA does so much to communicate science to the public and cause important changes to be made in our country for the betterment of the world we live in. It’s ridiculous that such a valuable part of the government may be eliminated due to a few people’s insane delusions and inability to accept scientific evidence.

Thankfully, there are ways to stop this. It’s important to make our voices heard and communicate how outrageous this bill is. Get in contact with your elected representatives, and share your opinion! Read up on the latest changes, stay informed, and try to spread that information to others. If you’re feeling particularly enthused, then attend a march or protest in a city near you—or get ambitious and organize your own. The possibilities are endless, but the effort needs to be made. The earth is our home, and we need to stand up for it.

Hi! My name is Caitlin Duncan. I'm from Enfield, CT, and a senior at University of New Haven. I am the Co-Founder and Campus Correspondent for Her Campus New Haven. I am also a Founding Member of Alpha Sigma Alpha's Theta Omega chapter. In my free time, I can be found singing Taylor Swift, reading, or cuddling with my dogs, Paisley and Mandy. Feel free to contact me at caitduncan@hercampus.com! HCXO!