Meet the Greeks: Panhellenic Council Edition

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at New Haven chapter.

This week we say down the presidents of each Panhellenic sorority. Here is a little bit about them and their organizations!

Organization: Phi Sigma Sigma

Colors: King blue and gold

Mascot: The sphinx

Philanthropy: The Phi Sigma Sigma Foundation with philanthropic partners: Kids in Need Foundation and Practice Makes Perfect

President: Mel Lundin

Her Campus: What is your favorite event that your sorority puts on?

Mel: Our annual Winter Wonderland event. During the holiday season, we ask people on campus to sponsor a child from a New Haven shelter by buying them holiday gifts. The event is a celebration dinner to say thank you to all the sponsors, and to come enjoy a night with us while displaying all of the gifts we were able to supply for the children.

HC: What do you find to be most rewarding about your position?

Mel: What I find most rewarding about my position is being able to know that I’m doing a lot of things to help many people. I do a lot of behind the scenes work that not many people know about, and I love seeing things come together successfully and seeing my sisters be happy.

HC: What are your plans for after graduation?

Mel: After I graduate, I really hope to work in a career with music supervision. I would love to be one of the people who choose songs for television shows, movies, commercials, etc.

Organization: Chi Kappa Rho

Sorority colors: Navy Blue and White

Philanthropy: Mothers Against Drunk Driving

President: Tara D’Amico

Tara: Our Annual Fashion Show. It’s always a lot of fun, and all the money raised goes towards a scholarship to keep a woman enrolled at UNH.

HC: What are you looking forward to the most this semester?

Tara: I’m looking forward to a new event that we are hoping to hold annually at UNH. It’s called the SASS walk, and it stands for Sexual Assault Survivors and Supporters walk. This is a cause close to many of my sisters, including myself. I’m excited to share this time of awareness and support with my sisters and the UNH campus!

HC: How would you say running a chapter would help you in the real world?

Tara: I would say that running a chapter has definitely helped me to prioritize and delegate. In the real world, if you try to take on everything alone, you’re doomed to burn yourself out. Running this chapter has allowed me to utilize my sisters, each with her own strengths and abilities, to help me keep our organization running smooth.

Organization: Delta Phi Epsilon

Colors: Royal Purple and pure gold

Mascot: The unicorn!

Philanthropies: The Cystic Fibrosis Foundation, Anorexia Nervosa and Associated Disorders (ANAD), and the Delta Phi Epsilon Educational Foundation.

President: Jill Prusarczyk

Jill: My favorite event is our annual Deepher Dude pageant, which supports The Cystic Fibrosis Foundatio. It’s going to be on November 20th in Bucknall Theater this year, if anyone would like to come check it out!

HC: What is one goal you had for you/your chapter while you’re president?

Jill: When I was first elected at the end of the fall 2014 semester, I was really hoping our chapter would be able to earn 5 stars from our headquarters for our chapter assessment program (CAP). This rating is based on many things, including events we hold, sisters’ academics achievements, and personal growth. At the end of the spring 2015 semester, our chapter earned the 5 star rating!! Now, my next goal is to pass on all my knowledge to help sisters maintain earn this each year!

HC: What is the most challenging part about being a sorority president?

Jill: The hardest part is definitely making those tough decisions on behalf of the chapter, especially when there are conflicting opinions from members.

Keep an eye out for a campus celebrity interview with the newest Panhellenic sorority, Alpha Sigma Alpha!

Hi! My name is Caitlin Duncan. I'm from Enfield, CT, and a senior at University of New Haven. I am the Co-Founder and Campus Correspondent for Her Campus New Haven. I am also a Founding Member of Alpha Sigma Alpha's Theta Omega chapter. In my free time, I can be found singing Taylor Swift, reading, or cuddling with my dogs, Paisley and Mandy. Feel free to contact me at caitduncan@hercampus.com! HCXO!