9 Tasty Vegetarian Side Dishes for Thanksgiving

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at New Haven chapter.

A vegetarian Thanksgiving meal may leave some of your family members puzzled, but they won’t even be thinking about the bird while they’re filling up on these delicious, meat-free side dishes.

Maple Cinnamon Sweet Potatoes

These maple cinnamon sweet potatoes are seasoned with cozy flavors and roasted to perfection—crispy on the outside and soft on the inside. They’re easy to prepare and packed with flavor, tossed in a glaze consisting of olive oil, maple syrup, cinnamon, salt and pepper.

Apple Orange Cranberry Sauce

You just put everything in a pot and give it a few stirs as it simmers—the berries will burst and cook down into a thick, gorgeously-colored sauce. After popping it into the refrigerator for a few hours, it’ll be ready to serve! You can even make it a few days in advance.

Roasted Acorn Squash with Cranberry Walnut Quinoa Stuffing

For someone who doesn’t like stuffing, this is phenomenal! Once you sauté the onions, garlic, pepper, and mushrooms, you just add the quinoa and toppings and serve. You won’t miss the bland, old breaded stuffing one bit.

Green Beans with Caramelized Shallots and Almonds

Add some green to your Thanksgiving menu with this flavorful recipe for crisp and fresh-tasting green beans coated lightly with coconut oil, a little sweetness from caramelized shallots, and a pop of flavor from finely chopped parsley.

Mashed Potatoes with Wild Mushroom Gravy

You won’t miss traditional gravy one bit! Paired with your favorite mashed potato recipe, the mushrooms give off a nice umami flavor—a great substitute for the fat and juices from turkey.

French Bread Stuffing with Swiss Chard and Caramelized Red Onions

This stuffing combines the perfect amount of flavor to saturate the bread before it is baked and browned in the oven. The Swiss chard and caramelized red onions are what make this stuffing so good!

Roasted Cauliflower with Dates, Pine Nuts, and Thyme

As side dishes go, this roasted cauliflower couldn’t be easier. Chop up your cauliflower into florets, toss with olive oil and spices, and place into the oven. While that’s cooking, toast some pine nuts and chop a handful of dates.

Spinach, Pear, and Feta Salad with Walnuts and Pomegranate Arils

Sweet pears, tangy feta, crunchy pomegranates, and mellow walnuts—the easiest salad to throw together. You can arrange the salad by layers or toss it all together. Once it’s set, drizzle the salad with dressing just before serving.

Spinach Gratin

With nearly three pounds of leafy greens, this dish is as dense and hearty as it gets. Unlike most au gratin dishes that are soupy, this dish has just enough sauce to bind and flavor the spinach with a high-quality Monterrey Jack or Gruyere cheese.

Your vegetarian Turkey Day doesn’t have to be about bland food or sad tofu substitutes because when the food you’re eating is good, you focus on what’s on your plate—not what’s missing from it.

Hello. I’m Becky! I’m a sophomore from Orange, Connecticut, studying General Psychology with minors in Sociology and Communication. Aside from writing for Her Campus, I’m a member of the Psychology Club and a volunteer for Love Your Melon. With my love for helping others, I hope to become either a counseling psychologist or an animal-assisted psychotherapist. In the meantime, you can find me crying over The Office, designing my future tiny house, looking at pictures of dogs, or daydreaming about volunteering at the Elephant Nature Park in Thailand.
Hi! My name is Caitlin Duncan. I'm from Enfield, CT, and a senior at University of New Haven. I am the Co-Founder and Campus Correspondent for Her Campus New Haven. I am also a Founding Member of Alpha Sigma Alpha's Theta Omega chapter. In my free time, I can be found singing Taylor Swift, reading, or cuddling with my dogs, Paisley and Mandy. Feel free to contact me at caitduncan@hercampus.com! HCXO!