A Wolfpack Hero: Doc Hendley

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at NCSU chapter.

“I’m not a guy who gets awards”, said Doc Hendley who was one of the top 10 finalists in 2009 for CNN’s Hero of the Year Award and is now the recipient of the 2012 Annual Role Model Leader Award from NCSU.

On Monday January 23, Doc Hendley, founder and president of Wine to Water, spoke at a Scholar’s forum (put on by the University Scholar’s Program) in Stewart Theatre concerning his efforts to provide clean drinking water to people around the globe. In his presentation he spoke of the joys, obstacles, and doubts that he has had along his journey thus far.  The idea for this organization came to Doc one night in the year 2003. After writing the words “Wine to Water” on a pad of paper he was unsure of their significance to him personally, but he couldn’t escape the feeling that he was meant to act on this inclination to do something. Though self-proclaimed to be less than technologically savvy, after some “googling”, he discovered that the lack of clean drinking water is not just an inconvenience for people around the world- it’s a killer.  After his very first fundraiser raked in around six grand he continued to pursue his passion and now thanks to that determination Wine to Water is now an official American non-profit actively serving 9 countries.  Doc and his team work by drilling and repairing wells, developing water filters from local materials, and teaching the natives of that country how to do these tasks on their own so that the people there can be self-sufficient at gaining access to clean water sources.

The humble and casual manner in which Doc presented himself and his mission spoke more loudly than anything he said verbally.  His nonchalance regarding his accomplishments was strikingly refreshing. Unlike some polished, inspirational speakers whose artificially whitened smile, crisp suit and tie, and large ego outshine the stage lights, Doc took a different approach. A former bartender of Raleigh, he stood before the students of the Scholars Program in faded jeans, a button up shirt, and cowboy boots, and reminded us all that “just average” people of seemingly no promise can have an incredible impact.  It’s not about skill but passion. If you have the heart for something then there is no reason why you can’t go out and change the world.  

So ladies, who cares if you weren’t valedictorian or aren’t exactly on your way to being a pro-athlete. Heck maybe you don’t even know what your major is going to be.  Big deal! Take it from the man who is day by day transforming the lives of the nearly 1 billion people who don’t have clean drinking water….you can make a positive difference! Oh and did I forget to mention that this phenomenal guy is an NCSU grad himself with a degree in Communications…Go Wolfpack!!

Anna is a Junior at North Carolina State University studying Communication with a concentration in Public Relations and minoring in journalism. She writes for a PR blog for her internship and enjoys writing in her spare time as well. She is part of Delta Gamma sorority and loves every aspect that DG has to offer especially hanging with all her sisters. Her future goals include working PR or within with PR either in sports or the entertainment business.