Winter Campus Walkin’: New Songs For Your Winter Playlist

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at NCSU chapter.

If you are anything like me, it is vital to have a good playlist when walking through campus. One of my favorite parts of this season is curating a playlist that corresponds to my mood. My music taste changes heavily in the colder months as I tend to listen to more mellow or avant-garde tunes. Here are some of my favorite songs getting me through college during these chilly months!

1. Sinking: Clairo

Clairo has continuously encapsulated the “dreamlike” sound throughout her various projects. I think her 2019 album, “Immunity” does a fantastic job separating Clairo’s sound from her normal bedroom pop records. Continuously, “Sinking” is one of my favorites on the album because of its soft rock feel and lyricism that is extremely relatable during this time of year.

https://open.spotify.com/track/7BQWJDX9GGqq3D6ezggaqB?si=SPQTE9iKT3iAE3LOA7io4A

2. She Won’t go away: faye webster

Faye Webster has gained traction for her song “Kingston” going viral on TikTok, and for good reason. She is one of my new favorite artists because of her unique voice and the catchy tempo in her music. I recently discovered “She Won’t Go Away” and it has already become one of my most streamed songs of 2024!

3. How it goes: breakup shoes

I discovered “How It Goes” on Spotify’s new feature called “daylist.” Spotify generates a new playlist for users every day based on their listening habits. “How It Goes” is an upbeat indie-pop song that pokes fun at the singer’s reoccurring relationship problems. This song is a break from the typical dismal music that many people are drawn to during the winter months.

4. Valentine, texas: Mitski

Mitski is well known for creating music that feels like a slow burn and has an eerie sound to it. “Valentine, Texas” is one of my favorite songs to listen to on a drive because of the unexpected beat drop during the bridge. I certainly recommend this song if you are interested in getting into Mitski’s music!

5. I HATE BOSTON: RENEé rapp

Reneé Rapp has undoubtedly taken the internet by storm for her role in “Mean Girls,” and has taken her talents to the pop music scene. Her debut album “Snow Angel” showcases her impressive vocals and ability to write a compelling bridge. “I Hate Boston” is certainly my favorite song from this project and I am so thrilled to see what Reneé has in store for the future.

Hopefully, these recommendations have inspired you to spice up your winter playlist! Happy listening!

Halle Fisher is the Marketing/Events Coordinator of Her Campus at NC State. She is responsible for creating team bonding events, promoting events/articles/brand partnerships, and fundraising. This is her second year on Her Campus and as Marketing/Events Coordinator. Outside of Her Campus, Halle is active within her community. She was Vice President of her high school's chapter of Tri-M Music Honors Society and was the Communications manager for the Ronald McDonald House Club. She also performed in Chamber Choir throughout her high school career. In college, Halle is an active member of Delta Zeta (Omicron-Lambda) at NC State and serves as their Diversity, Equity, & Inclusion Chairman. In 2023, Halle created social media content and held events in partnership with Urban Decay Cosmetics and Uber Eats. This year she hopes to continue her journey as a Business Administration major and learn more about the industry! Halle is originally from Long Island, NY, and currently resides in Cary, NC with her younger sister and two dogs. She enjoys going to concerts, hanging out with friends, traveling, and makeup. She has been able to see some of her favorite artists in concert such as Taylor Swift, SZA, Lana Del Rey, and Sabrina Carpenter. Her favorite genre of television is reality TV as her favorite show is Jersey Shore.