Style

Why Emma Chamberlain Makes or Breaks Fashion Trends

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at NCSU chapter.

If you don’t live under a rock, I’m sure you know who the Youtuber and fashion influencer Emma Chamberlain is. Her channel skyrocketed in popularity in 2018 and from there she quickly grew a following. I found Emma at the beginning of 2018 due to my best friend showing me her channel. I quickly began to realize why everyone was so obsessed with this random teenage girl in San Francisco. The more popular she got, the more and more people began to copy her style and fashion choices. Emma has been a fashion icon for a few years now, she repopularized scrunchies, teddy jackets, doc martens, and more. Emma even partnered up with Louis Vuitton and went to Paris Fashion Week which ultimately helped her career as a fashion influencer. If Emma wants a new item or trend to start being popular all she has to do is post in that outfit and thousands of her fans will begin to copy her style. I can include myself in that group because I find myself often looking at her insta to get inspiration while I’m online shopping. Emma also helped with what I would call the “thrift store trend”, after a few vlogs of her shopping at different thrift stores near her many of her fans began doing the same thing. Quickly, everyone realized that thrift shopping is not only environmentally friendly but also it’s a cheap way to keep up with the changing trends. 

If you have taken a look at Emma’s recent Insta pictures, you will see that she is very bold with the colors, patterns, textures she chooses for her outfits. I think this is the main reason why so many people including myself seem to be obsessed and fascinated with her fashion sense. I look at most of her outfits and think to myself how I could never pull that off or how it wouldn’t look good on me. But I recently realized that Emma can pull off anything because of how she wears her clothes. She is so confident in whatever she is wearing that viewers don’t seem to think her choices are that strange. This is what makes her stand out and seem so different from some other fashion youtubers I follow. So I say that we all can take some not only fashion advice from Emma but also some confidence because when you are confident in yourself and your clothes people will notice that energy that seems to radiate off of you. Now go and put some questionable but cool pieces together and I’m sure your fashion sense will look just like Emma’s closet. 

Hi everyone, my name is Roxie and I'm from Charlotte, NC! I'm a junior majoring in marketing and minoring in art and design. I love dancing, spending time outdoors, baking, and drawing/creating. I've always loved the creative freedom that comes with writing and I'm so excited to be a part of Her Campus!
Junior at NCSU majoring in Communication Media Lover of strawberry ice cream and classic rock VP of Her Campus NCSU