Three Romantic Movies to Watch this Valentine’s Day to Feel Something

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at NCSU chapter.

If you’re like me, then you probably don’t have a significant other to spend this Valentine’s Day with. Despite this, I am choosing to spend this Valentine’s Day focusing on self-care because I am my own Valentine. One way I practice self-care is by lying down on my bed and watching an endless array of movies. Here are three romance movies to watch this Valentine’s Day to feel something.

A Walk to Remember

Ever since I’ve binge-watched the show This is Us, I have been obsessed with Mandy Moore. I recently saw “A Walk to Remember” in my “Recommended” on Netflix, and I just had to watch it for Mandy Moore. “A Walk to Remember” follows the story of high school senior, Shane West, who falls in love with an innocent Christian girl named Jamie Sullivan. Shane, at first, does not feel anything towards Jamie until he is forced to be in a school play with her. This is your classic bad boy, good girl romantic movie trope, and I am obsessed with it. You can watch the trailer for “A Walk to Remember” down below.

Pride and Prejudice 

I believe this movie falls in line with the enemies to lovers trope; a very popular trope among those who love romance. In this adaptation of Jane Austen’s novel, Emily Bennet faces a great amount of pressure from her parents to marry, but she is not as interested in marriage as her sisters. That is until she meets the handsome and rich Mr. Darcy, and you will notice an immediate connection between him and Ms. Bennet. Despite there being obvious sparks, Mr. Darcy’s passive-aggressive nature may terrorize their relationship. This is definitely one of the more popular romance movies, and I highly recommend watching it if you really want to feel something. You can watch the trailer for “Pride and Prejudice” here.

Her

“Her” is a romance/sci-fi film starring Joaquin Phoenix. Theodore is left heartbroken after his marriage ends, and he becomes interested in a new operating system that develops into an intuitive and unique entity known as Samantha who has a very charismatic, kind personality. The two start out as friends, but their relationship soon develops into a romance. This movie was particularly interesting to watch because of how Theodore and this robot named Samantha had to navigate themselves through their relationship. For those of you who love sci-fi, I definitely recommend this film, and the ending might make you emotional so come prepared with tissues. You can watch the trailer of Her here. 

Shreya is a sophomore at NCSU majoring in political science with a minor in women and gender studies. She has a passion for social justice and feminism, and she enjoys helping those in need. Shreya lives in Apex, and she is a HerCampus contributor which she is so excited to continue writing for! Shreya is also on the leadership team for the Feminist Collective and is the president of IGNITE at NCSU. Some of her favorite things to do include watching movies, spending time with friends, traveling, and going to concerts.
Hi! My name is Isabella Castineyra, I am a senior majoring in communication media with minors in journalism and criminology. I am from Boston originally, so I am all for Boston sports teams (go Pats)! I love taking naps, listening to Billy Joel, and rewatching the same shows over and over again. Go Pack!!