This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at NCSU chapter.

After four seasons on the CW, “In the Dark” has unfortunately been canceled. This dark crime drama is one of my favorite TV shows, yet I’ve never heard anyone talk about it. Hopefully, by the end of this article, you’ll give it a try! The show follows Murphy Mason, a blind 20-something-year-old whose only hobbies include smoking and pretending she works at her family’s guide dog business. She only has a limited number of friends and when she discovers one of them dead in an alley, she is determined to find the killer. This show is graphic at times and handles violent subjects, so please watch at your own discretion.

Upon first glance at the synopsis, you might be thinking, “Why would I ever watch anything like this?” Although our heroine seems unlikeable and standoffish at first, the character development is through the roof. Murphy is witty, street smart, manipulative at times, and doesn’t let anyone push her around. She’s like a cat with nine lives and you just want to see how she can get out of some difficult situations. She battles injustice, corrupt cops, relentless FBI agents, drug lords, and more. She’s the epitome of a character that you just can’t help rooting for.  

Throughout the seasons, the plot digresses from the original murder mystery and the story evolves so much from the first season. The story doesn’t feel forced to continue and all of the events in the future seasons make sense. It starts off with a murder mystery but gets so much more complex and nuanced.  

You also need to watch this show for the plot twists you won’t see coming from a mile away. As someone who can always guess the plot twists of TV shows and movies, I genuinely couldn’t predict anything that was going to happen. This show always kept me guessing what was going to happen and failing. I can’t think of any other show that’s given me the same adrenaline rush as this one. 

Something that also differentiates this show from others is the humor. Murphy is funny because of how relentless she is, but all the supporting characters are hilarious as well. The sarcastic and witty writing are some of the most memorable parts of the show. As an added bonus, Murphy’s guide dog Pretzel is the best companion anyone could ask for.

Another thing I love about this show is that it doesn’t feel forced. Many current TV shows use too much Gen Z slang and lingo to the point where it’s just embarrassing to watch. This show does a fantastic job of using modern-day humor, events, and trends without the secondhand embarrassment that usually comes with it. 

Basically, you need to watch this show right now if you haven’t already. It’s currently trending on Netflix, so I know that some of you have watched it. I would especially recommend this to all the Criminal Minds and true crime watchers out there. I also suggest binge-watching this show because everything connects so cleverly and all the seasons are available on Netflix. So, grab a snack and get watching!

Freshman at NC State probably majoring in business marketing. Lover of all things pop culture.