The Bullying of Margot Robbie Needs to Go

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at NCSU chapter.

Margot Robbie is one of Hollywood’s brightest stars, so why is it that she is constantly bullied on social media? I am a big fan of hers and hate to see her being put down, so I wanted to figure out where all the hate comes from.

It started in 2013 when Robbie debuted in Martin Scorsese’s Wolf of Wall Street, starring opposite Leonardo DiCaprio. This role shot her to superstardom but also started a gross objectification and obsession with her that is still around a decade later. 

Men everywhere became obsessed with not only Robbie but the idea of being some grossly rich stockbroker who lived a life full of drugs, money, and more. She was just collateral damage in these men’s dreams as she became the picture of the “ideal wife” in these scenarios. To this day, I have never seen men fawn over a celebrity as they do Robbie. I have even seen people on social media saying they would rather spend one night with Margot than achieve world peace or save their family from a burning building. She has become this god-like figure to men who talk about her like she would even be remotely interested in them in the first place.

I personally think this obsession has led to an open season of bullying on Robbie, as men see her as nothing more than an object. This, in turn, has caused many women to turn against Robbie and bully her on things such as her fashion due to jealousy that may arise over the feeling that they are “competing” with her for men’s attention. 

The discourse on her fashion taste is huge on Twitter. She is openly flamed left and right every time she steps foot on the red carpet. I think that her fashion is not as terrible as everyone says it is. She has worn so many beautiful pieces, and I think people are grasping at straws to find things to make fun of her for. Sure, she has had her fair share of questionable looks, but what celebrity hasn’t? 

This bullying has also trickled down to her movies. Her past two movies did not perform the best at the box office, with Amsterdam making $31.9 million of its $80 million budget and Babylon making $11 million of its $78 million budget. A reason for Amsterdam being so unsuccessful was the fact that it was directed by disgraced director David O’Russell who was accused of sexual assault. Babylon is over 3 hours long, which could explain why people aren’t willing to see it in theaters. However, Robbie has been blamed for both of these movies’ failures. The kicker is in both; she stars alongside two male co-stars who have not received any criticism. Christian Bale and John David Washington (Amsterdam),  and Brad Pitt and Diego Calva (Babylon) have not been mentioned in any capacity when talking about who is to blame for both movie bombings. Robbie is a two-time Academy Award nominee, so I am not sure why she is to blame. 

It is puzzling why Margot always seems to get the short end of the stick. She is a fantastic actress and if you watch any of her interviews, she seems like a lovely person. She is also a great role model for young girls as she started her own production company “Lucky Chap Entertainment” alongside her husband. They produce women-directed movies and TV Shows, including Promising Young Woman, I, Tonya, and the upcoming movie Barbie. She is more than an “object” of lonely men’s desires and the jealousy and bullying of her need to go.

Cameron Crews is the president of Her Campus at NC State. She is responsible for publishing all articles, leading meetings, encouraging all staff, and overseeing the entire chapter. This is her third year on Her Campus and her second year as President. Outside of Her Campus, Cameron was the Editor-in-Chief of her high school’s yearbook, which she helped lead to being awarded the best book in the entire state and honored at Columbia University’s scholastic journalism awards. She worked as an intern at Southpark Magazine in Charlotte, NC, where she edited articles, conducted interviews, and assisted the editors. In the Summer of 2023, she attended Regents University in London, England, where she took fashion classes from high players in the fashion industry who have worked with the likes of Andy Warhol, Alexander McQueen, Christian Siriano, and more. She also had the opportunity to interview Brendan Fraser immediately after he won his “Best Actor” Oscar at the 2023 Academy Awards. She is a junior at NC State University majoring in Communications with a minor in Journalism. After graduation, she hopes to move to New York, LA, Paris, or London and work in the fashion industry as either a fashion editor or celebrity stylist. Cameron was born and raised in Charlotte, NC, with her younger brother and dog, George Bailey. She enjoys shopping, watching movies, listening to music, writing, hanging out with friends, and traveling in her free time. She is a huge Taylor Swift and Harry Styles fan and has seen them both in concert multiple times. She is also a huge Timothee Chalamet aficionado and is a huge movie fan–with some of her favorites being Once Upon A Time…In Hollywood, Barbie, Lady Bird, the Breakfast Club, and Breakfast at Tiffany’s.