Riley Keough and Sam Claflin in Daisy Jones and the Six
Lacey Terrell/Prime Video

The 70s Are Back, and We Have Daisy Jones To Thank

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at NCSU chapter.

For anyone that has been living under a rock, in March, PrimeVideo released their highly-anticipated show Daisy Jones and the Six based on the book of the same name by Taylor Jenkins Reid. Taking place in 1970s Hollywood, the titular character (played by Riley Keough) is a free spirit who has always had a spark for fame. Not letting any push her around, she falls into the laps of a record company that partners her with a successful but struggling band, “The Six.” Frontman Billy Dunne (played by Sam Claflin) is adamantly against the addition of Jones, but when their first single together becomes massively popular, he must suck it up for the band’s sake.

I first read the book a few months before the show’s release and instantly fell in love. I have always gravitated toward the pop culture and fashions of the 1960s, but this book made the 1970s seem much more appealing. The entire book was masterfully written, and the plot twist at the end transforms how you view what you just read. When I finished the book, I was instantly excited, realizing I was about to see the book play out on television. 

To fill the void of waiting for the show to drop, I watched 2000’s Almost Famous, starring Kate Hudson and Billy Crudup. Romanticizing groupie culture and 70s rock bands, this movie became an instant favorite of mine and got me even more excited for the show. One of my big takeaways from the film was the fashion characters like Hudson’s Penny Lane wore throughout the movie. I began doing a ton of research into groupie and 70s fashion. I found that many of the trends and outfits that were present almost fifty years ago are coming back into today’s fashions, and with the release of Daisy Jones and the Six, everyone’s wardrobes will be “giving 70s” very soon. 

Now, when people think of 70s fashions, I am sure they think of fringe, tie dye, and round sunglasses because that is what companies like Party City and Spirit Halloween have tried to convince us that the fashion of the time was really like. And while some people did dress like this. The time’s fashion was all over the place but uniquely its own. Take the characters in these 70s-set media pieces, for example. Daisy Jones wears a lot of denim with crop tops, fur coats, flowing capes, and leather boots. The same goes for Penny Lane in Almost Famous. Her signature fur-lined suede coat has been dubbed the “Penny Lane coat” in some online communities. Karen Sirko–the keyboardist for the Six–has a simple wardrobe consisting mostly of black pieces, including sweaters, pants, and mini skirts. Camila Dunne, the wife of Billy Dunne, is more traditional with longer skirts, turtlenecks, and long flowy dresses. Simone Jackson (Daisy’s friend) wore suede, long dresses, boots, and jumpsuits. Each woman has their unique sense of style while being on par with the 70s at the same time. However, their looks could be recreated today without anyone batting an eye. 

Men’s fashion at the time was relatively the same. Denim shirts, button-downs, pants. Nothing too special. But I can’t move on without mentioning how weird it is to love fictional bands from these movies. With Still Water from Almost Famous and Daisy Jones and the Six from Daisy Jones and the Six, fictional 70s bands will infiltrate by Spotify wrapped. And hey, Russell Hammond (Crudup) from Almost Famous and Billy Dunne are not bad to look at.

The re-emergence of these fashions, inspired me to get my friends together and see if we could recreate 70s outfits using only items in our closets, and I have to say, I think we did a pretty good job. Pulling from actual photos of female rock bands from the era and famous groupies, we pulled together items we all already had and created these outfits that would totally pass in the era.

OUTFIT #1 

Blouse, by Anthropologie.Vest, $170, by Anthropologie. Pants, $170, by Anthropologie. Earrings, Stylists Own. Boots, Stylists Own. Glasses, Stylists Own. 

OUTFIT #2 

Top, Stylists Own. Skirt, $170, by Anthropologie. Jacket, $170, by Anthropologie. Glasses, $310, by Gucci. 

OUTFIT #3 

Blouse, Models Own. Jeans, Models Own. Boots, Models Own. Boa, Stylists Own. Glasses, Stylists Own. 

OUTFIT #4 

Top, Models Own. Jeans, Models Own. Jacket, Models Own. Fur Vest, Stylists Own. Glasses, Stylists Own. 

PHOTOGRAPHER: Juliana Powell, Cameron Crews, Paige Hill

MODELS: Maryam Chingwe, Kaurwaki Babu, Ava Stewart, and Cameron Crews

LOCATIONS: Stanhope 

SPECIAL THANKS: Isa Cardoso

Cameron Crews is the president of Her Campus at NC State. She is responsible for publishing all articles, leading meetings, encouraging all staff, and overseeing the entire chapter. This is her third year on Her Campus and her second year as President. Outside of Her Campus, Cameron was the Editor-in-Chief of her high school’s yearbook, which she helped lead to being awarded the best book in the entire state and honored at Columbia University’s scholastic journalism awards. She worked as an intern at Southpark Magazine in Charlotte, NC, where she edited articles, conducted interviews, and assisted the editors. In the Summer of 2023, she attended Regents University in London, England, where she took fashion classes from high players in the fashion industry who have worked with the likes of Andy Warhol, Alexander McQueen, Christian Siriano, and more. She also had the opportunity to interview Brendan Fraser immediately after he won his “Best Actor” Oscar at the 2023 Academy Awards. She is a junior at NC State University majoring in Communications with a minor in Journalism. After graduation, she hopes to move to New York, LA, Paris, or London and work in the fashion industry as either a fashion editor or celebrity stylist. Cameron was born and raised in Charlotte, NC, with her younger brother and dog, George Bailey. She enjoys shopping, watching movies, listening to music, writing, hanging out with friends, and traveling in her free time. She is a huge Taylor Swift and Harry Styles fan and has seen them both in concert multiple times. She is also a huge Timothee Chalamet aficionado and is a huge movie fan–with some of her favorites being Once Upon A Time…In Hollywood, Barbie, Lady Bird, the Breakfast Club, and Breakfast at Tiffany’s.