Tinder?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
Tinder?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Wellness > Sex + Relationships

Ten Tinder Do’s and Don’ts to Secure your Next Valentine

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at NCSU chapter.

Dating apps can be difficult to navigate, especially if it’s your first time using one. Tinder has become more and more popular among young adults on the market and has shown to be incredibly useful during quarantine for COVID-safe dating. With Valentine’s day right around the corner, I’ve put together some useful do’s and don’ts for your Tinder profile so you can up your online dating game to help find your next special someone.

DO include multiple photos!

The more the better; more photos can help show your true self and personality. Only including one photo in your profile limits your first impression with anyone on the app. Try getting together a group of at least five photos you feel shows off your best features and personality.

DON’T feel pressured to go out with everyone you match with.

Get to know each other a little bit and if you don’t click, that’s totally okay. Think of your Tinder chat as a place to get to know each other a little better, then decide for yourself if you think you’d want to get to the next step. Not everyone you match with is actually an ideal match for you… go with your gut. 

DO be open and honest about what you’re looking for in your Tinder bio!

Let’s be real – not everyone on Tinder is in it for the same reasons (which is completely okay), but it can get a bit awkward when you realize you’re not at all looking for the same thing out of an online dating app. It’s a good idea to subtly clarify what you want right off the bat. 

DON’T limit yourself to what you think your “type” is…

It’s easy to start mindlessly swiping with just one particular type of person in mind; don’t get caught up in keeping your eyes peeled for someone that fits into a category you think is your ideal match. You might be surprised by going out of your comfort zone a little bit. 

DO keep your expectations high!

Just because you’re dating online doesn’t mean you should lower your standards.

DON’T use photos with any overwhelming filters that could hide your beautiful self.

Keep in mind quality matters just as much as quantity when it comes to your Tinder profile photos. While filters may add a cute flare to pictures, don’t let them take away from your features or distract from the photo itself. For example, maybe you do look really good with the Snapchat dog filter on, but it probably isn’t the best photo for your dating profile. 

DO be yourself!

You can’t tell a lot from a Tinder profile, so don’t try to hide anything about yourself. Show your matches the real you; be real and authentic, you’ll be wasting your time if you try to be anyone else.

DON’T get caught up on one match.

Keep your options open. Just like dating in person, you don’t want to get sucked into one person too quickly and cut off everyone else. Take your time to get to know your matches, maybe go on a few dates, and see how you’re feeling. Going all-in for the first person you’re attracted to will just set you up for failure in the long run. 

DO link your Spotify or Instagram to your profile.

Not only is the Spotify add-on a great conversation starter, but you’d be surprised at how much a person’s choice of music says about them. It’s a super-easy way to find some common ground if you don’t feel

DON’T be scared to reach out first! Why not make the first move?

Self-explanatory. 

Hi my name's Sofia and I'm from Asheville, North Carolina. I'm a freshman at NC State studying communication and French.