This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at NCSU chapter.

Everyone recognizes the name Taylor Swift. Whether you enjoy her music or not, everyone can agree she has prospered in the music industry. Now, for a lot of people, they also think of Taylor Swift at the mention of the year 1989, the year she was born.

Her most commercially successful album was released in 2014 and titled 1989. It marked her shift from country to pop and it was a smash hit. With songs like Shake It Off, Blank Space, and Style topping the charts and cementing themselves as pop song legacies. 

Swift is in the process of re-recording her first six albums after her masters were sold without her permission to Scooter Braun. She has rereleased Fearless, Red, and Speak Now. And now, 1989

1989 (Taylor’s Version),  is out now, and with it comes the familiar euphoric feeling of a watch party. It also comes with the promise of new iconic outfits for fans to copy or recreate. The purpose of Taylor recreating her most popular albums is to make everything entirely in her control, entirely uniquely Taylor Swift. A major aspect of that is her fashion sense, shown through the social media, photoshoots, and music videos that swarm the internet. 

So far, the recreation of her albums has been faithful to the originals. The only major updates are the maturity of her voice, which comes with a decade of growth and subtle production changes. However, this newfound maturity could bring about a change in the choice of clothing Taylor has for her album. As we get closer to the release of 1989 (Taylor’s Version), the evolution of the singer’s fashion will only continue to inspire listeners. 

Nothing is quite as recognizable in the pop industry as the seagull sweater Taylor made famous in her 1989 album cover. Anyone could picture it reading right now. Most of the outfits in the Polaroid photos for the album are not only versatile and nostalgic (they have to be to fit the iconic lyrics underneath, of course), but they are also mostly affordable. 

Considering the original 1989 fashion trends, I expect that Taylor will be coming with even more daring color and aesthetic combinations. With popular songs like Blank Space, Bad Blood, and Welcome to New York on the album, there have to be outfits that make big, bold statements. From mismatching to symbolic color choices, Taylor Swift keeps her intentions clear with her outfits, whether it is to simply be bold and attract attention or to highlight the meaning of her lyrics. The remake of the 1989 album could result in more enhanced versions of her original outfits, or it could result in an entirely new wardrobe.

Stream 1989 (Taylor’s Version) out NOW!

STYLISTS: Cameron Crews, Paige Hill, and Ava Stewart

PHOTOGRAPHER: Paige Hill

MODEL: Amelie Kenney

LOCATION: NC State University

CLOTHES PROVIDED BY: Paige Hill, Cameron Crews, and Ava Stewart

Savannah Jenkins is a writer for Her Campus at NC State University. She is responsible for writing articles monthly to be reviewed and published. This is her first year on Her Campus. Outside of Her Campus, Savannah is the Public Relations Coordinator for Phi Sigma Rho Sorority at NC State and helps other women in STEM have a community to rely on. She helps organize service events for the sorority, such as volunteering at animal shelters, homeless shelters, and working with other female-based organizations. She is also a part of Zoology club and the Environmental Conservation Association. While in high school, she took part in Creative Writing club and creative writing classes from NCSSM. She is a sophomore at NC State University majoring in Zoology with minors in Nutrition and Wildlife Science. After graduation, she hopes to take part in international wildlife conservation to have both of her passions fulfilled: saving animals and travel. Savannah was born and raised in Lincolnton, NC with her younger brother, her cat Lucky, and her dog Foxy. She enjoys reading, listening to music, volunteering, writing, and traveling in her free time. While in Lincolnton, she helped dogs and cats get adopted through Helping Animals to Survive (HATS) which made the shelter no kill and made it possible for animals to get adopted for only $20 at the local Petsmart.