Style

Soothing Sunrises: Making Morning Routines Fun at College

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at NCSU chapter.

Some of my favorite videos to watch on Youtube are the infamous morning routines. I love to see different products or ways to start your day. Whether it’s making a cup of coffee or taking time to get in a 10+ step skincare routine, the main thing that matters is that you start your day off right. While I’m a girl not only new to Raleigh but to dorm-life, I think I’ve finally mastered a morning routine not so terrible.

First, I wake up and start the day with exercising my mind! My current favorite ways to do that include Connections and Wordle from the NYT Games, which my friends and I like to compete over. I like to think that beginning the day with turning those gears helps to get rid of my sleepiness.

Then, I make my way over to my dorm’s sink to get started on some skincare. However, if it’s easier to head to the bathroom go for it – this is all about making a routine best suited for you! While I won’t list out every step, here are some of my all-time skincare favorites:

After that I like to pick out my clothes for the day – check out this link for some cool pieces to add to your closet! Don’t know what to wear? Make the weather app your best friend because in Raleigh, the temperature constantly fluctuates. And if you still struggle like me to pick an outfit, I always try to have a simple “uniform” of jeans, t-shirt, and sweater that I can easily make different with funky jewelry or cool shoes.

Lastly, it’s time for some make-up! Again, here of some of my favorites that will never get old:

Before I head off to class I also like to grab a cup of coffee or tea. If you’re at NCSU, I recommend checking out Port City Java’s British Brunch tea with some creamer and sugar. Or drop by Starbucks for a delicious iced coffee.

Even though it might seem hard to find routine-worthy morning habits in college, the mornings I even just pick a cozy outfit and a cup of coffee make my day go so much better. And who knows, maybe doing the Wordle once in a while couldn’t hurt.

Alannah Anderson is currently a writer at NC State University. Alannah is pursuing a degree in Marine Science with an intended minor in Spanish. She hopes someday to dive with sharks and help put a stop to the shark finning industry. In high school, Alannah took part in band, basketball, Rotary Interact, Best Buddies, and science and engineering. One of her favorite classes was English Literature and Composition where she got to write poetry and read texts such as A Doll's House by Henrick Ibsen and Their Eyes Were Watching God by Zora Neale Hurston. In her free time, Alannah likes to watch movies, some of her favorites including Jaws, Austin Powers, Miracle, and Air. She also enjoys going for hikes and seeing hockey games with her friends. When she's not at home or with her friends, Alannah is frequently visiting new places or trying new foods. She gained her love for traveling after living in South Carolina, California, Pennsylvania, Ireland, Massachusetts, and now North Carolina. One of her fondest trips was to Spain with her classmates where she visited the Alhambra and Plaza de España. Alannah is excited to be a part of Her Campus as she wants to help make college an enjoyable and fun experience for women pursuing higher education.