Wellness > Health

Simple Ways to Get Active in the Warm Weather

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at NCSU chapter.

As we have seen this week, the weather is starting to warm up and spring is slowly beginning. The sunlight and warm weather resembles a breath of fresh air after months of the dark winter. With this weather, we are able to get outside more and get active. Many people, especially college students, do not have access to gyms. This new weather brings new opportunities to get active for free, with no equipment needed. Below, I have listed some of the ways we can get active as the outside temperatures increase.

1. Walk to Class

It can be tempting, especially in the colder months, to drive to class. As it warms up however, we should take the opportunity to get moving outside. Through either completely walking to class, or taking the longer route from the parking lot, this will give you a breath of fresh air and get your body moving.

1. Practice Yoga

Yoga is an amazing practice for conditioning and strengthening your body as well as your mind. As we know, attending classes at yoga studios can be expensive, and many college students do not even own yoga mats. To combat this, take advantage of the warm weather to practice yoga in the lush, soft grass! This will give you the opportunity to connect with nature as well as activate your mind and body.

1. Follow a Simple Stair Workout

Many of our dorms, houses, and apartment complexes have stairs outdoors. With the weather now permitting, we can engage in exercise where the only equipment needed is the stairs! Simply follow a video or make it up as you go, but this simple and free exercise will help you raise your heart-rate and strengthen your body.

Lily Grissom is a sophomore at NC State University majoring in Accounting with a concentration in Financial Analysis. Some of her favorite things are movies, music, and the environment!